Very slow VM

J

jerim

I have two storage servers using DRBD in an Active/Active cluster. I have four Proxmox nodes in a HA cluster.

I have installed a Windows 7 64bit VM and it runs. It is just that it runs very slowly. I want to quantify that statement so I recorded my desktop, but the file is 200mb so I won't be sending it along unless requested. it takes three to four minutes for any application to come up. Even logging in takes at least three minutes. My Linux Mint VM runs normally with no delay.

The VM has two cores running at 1ghz each and 2gb memory. Task manager never shows the resources being more than 50% utilized. The resource indicator for the node shows 12% on the CPU and about 4% on the memory. I tried seeing if I needed PV drivers as with Xen, but it doesn't appear that KVM uses PV drivers, I take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two storage servers using DRBD in an Active/Active cluster. I have four Proxmox nodes in a HA cluster.

I have installed a Windows 7 64bit VM and it runs. It is just that it runs very slowly. I want to quantify that statement so I recorded my desktop, but the file is 200mb so I won't be sending it along unless requested. it takes three to four minutes for any application to come up. Even logging in takes at least three minutes. My Linux Mint VM runs normally with no delay.

The VM has two cores running at 1ghz each and 2gb memory. Task manager never shows the resources being more than 50% utilized. The resource indicator for the node shows 12% on the CPU and about 4% on the memory. I tried seeing if I needed PV drivers as with Xen, but it doesn't appear that KVM uses PV drivers, I take it.
Hi,
we need a little bit more input to help.

Is the slowness io-related? Mean, how fast is the storage, which the VM use? Does the same happens on other storage (local)?
Can you post the VM-config? (cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf)
Does the same happens with only one CPU/core?

Udo

PS: What do you mean with running on 1GHz? Do you have an 1GHz CPU???

I installed the virtIO driver for the hard drive controller with very little improvement.

cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 2
cpuunits: 15000
ide0: Storage:iso/virtio-win-0.1-22.iso,media=cdrom
ide2: Storage:iso/W7Pro64bit.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
name: KNT286332
net0: rtl8139=B6:EB:6D:B4:57:59,bridge=vmbr0
onboot: 1
ostype: win7
sockets: 1
virtio0: Storage:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!