migrate vm fails iscsi + lvm, 2 nodes, 1 nas

nate

Mar 15, 2011
I set up iscsi storage and LVM using "LVM Groups with Network Backing" as described here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model

Then I installed a new vm (ubuntu 12.04) just to test a migration on the LVM , named it LVM1. VM runs fine on cluster 1. If I stop it and try to migrate it to cluster 2. It dies.

I get this error:

Found duplicate PV YaTBH5YDXgmAg281xpeFPcBJHEBUfuDm: using /dev/sdc not /dev/sdb
Found duplicate PV YaTBH5YDXgmAg281xpeFPcBJHEBUfuDm: using /dev/sdc not /dev/sdb
May 18 17:25:05 starting migration of VM 131 to node 'cloud2' (10.15.223.138)
May 18 17:25:05 copying disk images
May 18 17:25:08 ERROR: Failed to sync data - mount error: mount.nfs: No route to host
May 18 17:25:08 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
May 18 17:25:08 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:03): Failed to sync data - mount error: mount.nfs: No route to host TASK ERROR: migration aborted

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong?

I set up iscsi storage and LVM using "LVM Groups with Network Backing" as described here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model

Then I installed a new vm (ubuntu 12.04) just to test a migration on the LVM , named it LVM1. VM runs fine on cluster 1. If I stop it and try to migrate it to cluster 2. It dies.

I get this error:

May 18 17:25:05 starting migration of VM 131 to node 'cloud2' (10.15.223.138)
May 18 17:25:05 copying disk images
May 18 17:25:08 ERROR: Failed to sync data - mount error: mount.nfs: No route to host
May 18 17:25:08 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
May 18 17:25:08 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:03): Failed to sync data - mount error: mount.nfs: No route to host TASK ERROR: migration aborted

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong?
Hi,
there are two things:
first the doubled PVs - it seems that your host see the iSCSI-Disk twice (multipath) and don't know which is the right disk. Solution: use only one path or install and configure multipath (for the beginning it's easier to use only one path and if all run's well, switch to multipath).

second: the vm is an kvm, or an container? Normaly on a kvm-vm your iscsi-lvm-storage must defined as shared (because all nodes can use the storage together). And in this case the disk-content don't be copied, because the other node can use the vm-disk(s) allready.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!