need help installing on a raid 5

WuW

I bought this raid controller http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132017 because it is cheap and I am a broke college student and cant afford a nice expensive one. It supports raid 5, and it says nothing about it being a software raid card.

When I install Proxmox on the raid 5 it install just fine but when I try to start up Proxmox I get a disk boot error and I know all of the drives are good. Any one have any ideas to help me out here?

Well, it helps to have more information than 'it doesnt work'. However, I'd suggest creating 1 raid volume for the proxmox data and the rest non raided.

So:
/dev/sda1 - /boot
/dev/sda2 - /
/dev/sda3 - swap
/dev/sdb1 - /var (raid volume)

I bought this raid controller http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132017 because it is cheap and I am a broke college student and cant afford a nice expensive one. It supports raid 5, and it says nothing about it being a software raid card.

When I install Proxmox on the raid 5 it install just fine but when I try to start up Proxmox I get a disk boot error and I know all of the drives are good. Any one have any ideas to help me out here?
Hi,
during the installation of pve you see one disk or all on your raid-controller connected disks (which i assume, because Sil-driven raids are fake raids)?

I think you installed pve on the first disk (not raid-volume) and the boot don't work, because the fake-raid will show the bios an raid, which aren't there... just connect the first disk directly to the MB (if the fake-raidcontroller don't write dirty things to the disks, they should boot).
Such cheap things are not expensive, but not cheap enough because you need to buy again an real controller (and for this money you don't get an real raid controller).

Udo

Price is a good indication.
A real RAID card would have a CPU to calculate parity for the RAID5.

That card uses a driver to perform the RAID using the host CPU to perform the parity calculations.
You would be better off using software RAID in Linux than using a fakeraid card, no issues with drivers that way.

I am filling out the RMA form for my raid controller. How can I tell besides the price and besides buying it and trying it out if it is a real raid controller? I used Proxmox before and I liked it and now I want to try it with a raid 5 encase I have a hard drive fail on me. So I really want this to work.

Thanks. I think I might need to get some more cash.

People with lots of money upgrade to newer faster raid cards and their old ones end up on ebay.

The sad fact is, if you want high performance you do need $$$.
But if you just need a solid, stable, good RAID card you should be able to find one at a decent price used.

Do research before you purchase anything, make sure it is compatible with Linux, your disks, etc.

Would you be interested in an old SATA I (1.5G) 4 port PCI RAID card?
I am not 100% sure, but I believe we have a few collecting dust and can check when I am in the office next week.

Last edited:
People with lots of money upgrade to newer faster raid cards and their old ones end up on ebay.

The sad fact is, if you want high performance you do need $$$.
But if you just need a solid, stable, good RAID card you should be able to find one at a decent price used.

Do research before you purchase anything, make sure it is compatible with Linux, your disks, etc.

Would you be interested in an old SATA I (1.5G) 4 port PCI RAID card?
I am not 100% sure, but I believe we have a few collecting dust and can check when I am in the office next week.

Sure, I am not looking for speed I just want RAID 5 so if a hard drive fails I can quickly replace it and I only have 3 drives now and I might install a 4th later. But if you can take a look into it for me that would be appreciated.
I just got paid for a job I have been working on so I do have some extra money now.

Sure, I am not looking for speed I just want RAID 5 so if a hard drive fails I can quickly replace it and I only have 3 drives now and I might install a 4th later. But if you can take a look into it for me that would be appreciated. I just got paid for a job I have been working on so I do have some extra money now.
That looks like a Promise controller chip on that card you returned. That is software raid for sure. Take a look at ebay for cheap 3ware cards. They are hardware raid.http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...313&_nkw=3ware+9500&_sacat=See-All-Categories

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!