Login form : no password autocomplete in browser

neliger

May 2, 2010
Hi,

In many ways, Proxmox 2.0 is a real disappointment for me (anti-ergonomic Ajax interface and lack of the good 1.x cluster way without multicast obligation).

But one of the most annoying thing is that this Ajax interface don't allow browsers to make password autocomplete.

I know you won't change the interface (a shame), but why don't you use a real login page before starting the Ajax interface ? This would allow browsers to autocomplete loing and password.

Hi,

In many ways, Proxmox 2.0 is a real disappointment for me (anti-ergonomic Ajax interface and lack of the good 1.x cluster way without multicast obligation).

the new cluster design solved hundreds existing problems, looks like you was not affected by some of these. and yes, there are new requirements for these new features. why is this an problem for you?

the new interface is really great and the opposite fo anti-ergonomic, probably you need to dig deeper to discover all new features.

But one of the most annoying thing is that this Ajax interface don't allow browsers to make password autocomplete.

I know you won't change the interface (a shame), but why don't you use a real login page before starting the Ajax interface ? This would allow browsers to autocomplete loing and password.

there are several technical reasons for this, its not that "simple" as it looks like. feel free to submit patches for this.

the new cluster design solved hundreds existing problems, looks like you was not affected by some of these. and yes, there are new requirements for these new features. why is this an problem for you?

Not only for me I think.

You ask for a feature (multicast) that almost no hosting service offer. And if you want to make a cluster between two different datacenter, here comes the hacks with VPN and stuff.

Old cluster way was definitively better in my opinion. Simple, working, no special requirements. So in my point of view, 2.0 cluster is a regression.

the new interface is really great and the opposite fo anti-ergonomic, probably you need to dig deeper to discover all new features.

This new interface remember me vmware vSphere (sorry to be rude, but it's true). 36 steps to see something, and big Ajax (no right-click to open this page on a new window, no history back, no login/password completion, just no more well known web conventions at all).

there are several technical reasons for this, its not that "simple" as it looks like. feel free to submit patches for this.

Hum.

So we go for a lifetime of copy/past ? This is what I call a regression :/

No sure I'll make a patch for it as I -really- hate this kind of Ajax interfaces, but what are the technical reasons ? Do you know how the identification process is done ?

Perhaps you should use another software instead of this great proxmox product.

Sure, it is not perfect, but wich one is perfect?

If you do not like ajax, just code something else on top of the PVE-API, or just use command line, like me...

Would you buy a renault, if you exactly know, that this car is not the right one for you?

yes, as he just ignores a lot of facts (and also telling some wrong things) and additionally dislike and "hates" already all the new features I doubt that we can convince him, so I will stop answering here.

Would you buy a renault, if you exactly know, that this car is not the right one for you?

The problem is different : what would you say if you love your car but the constructor forces to renew it by a one with rare oil requirement and with 5 keys to turn to open the door ?

Here, with lenny and Proxmox 1.9 out of support, it's not a choice to migrate to Proxmox 2.0.

If I'm mad about the ergonomy of this version, it's just cause I liked it up to now, and don't understand the staff choices.

yes, as he just ignores a lot of facts (and also telling some wrong things) and additionally dislike and "hates" already all the new features I doubt that we can convince him, so I will stop answering here.

If you can just answer me about technical reasons for the login form, I want to understand how it work and how to resolve this.

Apparently it should work.

After some migrations, I'll create a Proxmox VM to edit some files live to test it.

Hard to find some time today, but I've half of the patch.

If the password is stored, it will be completed automatically.

The next step is to make the browser ask for storing password, but it maybe require to recode the form on the JS library, not just adding lines as I've done for the first part.

It's done with about 10 lines of code, without changing original login system, without adding any page, and without any style change.

Not sure about how to send you my changes ?

The idea is that you subscribe to the mailing list - We can then answer to your mails there.

I don't understand what you mean by "it only load once".

For the different username auto-complete, it can't be done this way. But I think one user auto-complete is better than nothing as actually, especially when we think about how many Proxmox users will use more than one login/pass couple for a node ?

And in the case a user use two logins on his proxmox node, he will just have to copy/past his password on the login form as he already have to do without this patch, so I don't understand the point Oo

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!