[SOLVED] Web GUI not accessible

kkjdroid

Oct 10, 2022
I have a Dell PowerEdge T430 that I'd like to set up as a Proxmox host. I intend for it to be my router, among other things. Since I want the pfSense VM to be the gateway, I've set it up without connecting it to my modem, but now I can't connect to the web GUI. It just times out. I'd appreciate any help.

I have a Dell PowerEdge T430 that I'd like to set up as a Proxmox host. I intend for it to be my router, among other things. Since I want the pfSense VM to be the gateway, I've set it up without connecting it to my modem, but now I can't connect to the web GUI. It just times out. I'd appreciate any help.
What does cat /var/network/interfaces on your PVE host return?
Whats your LAN subnet and whats the LAN IP of your pfsense VM?
Do you use any vlans?

Usually you would give your PVE node a free static IP of your LAN subnet and then set the pfsenses LAN IP ad the PVE nodes gateway and DNS server. That way your LAN clients can connect to the PVE webUI no matter if the pfsense VM is running or not. Your PVE host just won't be able to access the internet (so no updates possible) when your pfsense VM is shut down.

Last edited:
What does cat /var/network/interfaces on your PVE host return?
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.3/24
    gateway 192.168.1.254 #my modem/router, added after no success, didn't help
    bridge-ports eno2
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

iface eno1 inet manual

#more ethernet ports here
Whats your LAN subnet
192.168.0.0/24
and whats the LAN IP of your pfsense VM?
I don't have one yet, because I can't get to the web GUI.

Do you use any vlans?
I don't think so. I literally just set up Proxmox, so I'm on the installer defaults.

Last edited:
I can't get to the web GUI
Which webUI isn't accessible? PVE, pfsense or both?
address 192.168.0.3/24 gateway 192.168.1.254 #my modem/router, added after no success, didn't help
That won't work as the gateway is outside of your defined subnet.
I don't have one yet
Usually you would setup your pfsenses LAN IP first by accessing the PVE webUI, then opening a NoVNC connection to you pfsense VM to get access to the pfsenses console. From there you would use the CLI to do the basic setup of your pfsense. As soon as you gave the pfsense a LAN IP in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet you should be able to access the webUI from a client that is also part of that subnet.

Great! Please mark the thread as solved (edit it, there's a dropdown near the title) so others with the same problem can find it more easily.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!