Recover data from old Proxmox hard drive

PatchDog

Apr 26, 2010
I had a bad electrical storm that ended up frying my server. i was able to rebuild a new one and load all my VMs and KVMs from backup on to the new server. I have 2 VMs that I was working on at the time and didn't get to backup before the storm.

Is there any way to browse the old hard drive and pull those images over to the new machine? :confused:

I had a bad electrical storm that ended up frying my server. i was able to rebuild a new one and load all my VMs and KVMs from backup on to the new server. I have 2 VMs that I was working on at the time and didn't get to backup before the storm.

Is there any way to browse the old hard drive and pull those images over to the new machine? :confused:

Hi,
why you don't connect the old harddisk to a new (spare) computer and boot - if the disk is not damaged, it should work. To get a network connection you should edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, because of renaming from ethx.

If the system don't boot, use an rescue-live-cd like grml. If you connect the oldd disks to the new server you have two different volume groups with the same name (pve)!

Udo

I have tried adding the drive to a linux machine and it does see the two volumes. It cannot see the information in them as if they are image not mounted. Any thoughts.

I have tried adding the drive to a linux machine and it does see the two volumes. It cannot see the information in them as if they are image not mounted. Any thoughts.
Hi,
is pve-data not mounted, or do you mean the raw-disks of your VMs?
To mount raw-disk-files kpartx is the right tool to get an device, which is mountable.

To mount pve-data simpy activate the vg, and perhaps the lv and mount it (vgchange -a y /dev/pve; mount /dev/mapper/pve-data /mnt).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!