Stuck on "Welcome to GRUB", but only on reboot, not power-up

Andy97

Aug 2, 2021
Fresh install of Proxmox on a NUC5i3RYH with 16 GB memory, and a 1 TB NVMe drive. Downloaded proxmox-ve_7.2-1.iso and flashed on a USB stick. Installation was straight forward, and the NUC rebooted automatically. However this is where the problems start:

After the reboot (install-USB removed already) there was only a "Welcome to GRUB" message on the screen. I waited for several minutes but nothing happened. The keyboard was locked (ctrl+alt+delete had no effect). My only option was to power off (pulling out the power supply) and then immediately on. This time it started as expected, and the GUI was available in the browser, just as one would expect. Storage settings ok, everything as I am used to in earlier Proxmox installations.

Then I continued with updates (all in the GUI) and I clicked on "Reboot" at which point I was back with the "Welcome to GRUB" message. So once again I power recycled and a normal start followed!

Instead of using the GUI I logged in as root with my password and issued a reboot command. Same result, I had to once again power recycle to get the thing going!

Well, normally you don't reboot a server that often but surely this restart procedure is not normal!
I have tried the following on the NUC: Checked that I have the latest BIOS, Tried with both UEFI and Legacy Boot. This is just so frustrating.

Any tips to avoid this behaviour is appreciated!

/Andy

Hey,

If HW raid on, increase grub time ;)
Hi,
Unfortunately I have no idea of what setting you are talking about, and where it is supposed to be set. Could you please be a bit more precise? I have only one drive, and that is a 1 TB NVMe drive. No raid whatsoever.

Exactly the same problem here on an Intel NUC 12. I have tested extensively with BIOS settings, but that makes no difference. It is also not a Proxmox only problem, because a fresh installation of Debian 12.2 produces the same problem and even trixie/sid has the same problem. I don't use HW raid, but setting the Grub timeout to 0 seconds does "solve" the problem for me.

I really don't know and don't see the logic why this works, but hey, at least I have some sort of a solution. In case anyone else encounters the same problem and finds this topic (just like me):

# nano /etc/default/grub
Change "GRUB_TIMEOUT=5" to "GRUB_TIMEOUT=0"
# update-grub
# reboot

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!