Nesting VM (Proxmox inside VMWare): is it possible?

italian01

Feb 23, 2012
Italy
Hi to all readers,

I'm new here, and I'm also new Proxmox user. That being stated, I get immediatly to the point: I'd like to test Proxmox under VMWare Workstation 8 installed on Win 7.

I already tried this but, unluckly, without good result. :( So, I'll describe follow my enviroment:

• Host OS: WINDOWS 7 64bit.
  • VMWare: Workstation 8.
  • CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E6600 3.06GHz (VT-x supported).
  • Proxmox VE: 2.6.32-7-pve.

Hence, I installed without problems Proxmox under VMWare. I connected my browser to webserver of this new Virtual Machine, and I tried to create new VM under Proxmox. Settings of this one following:

> qm config 100

• [*=1]bootsik: ide0
    [*=1]cores: 1
    [*=1]ide0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw
    [*=1]ide2: none, media=cdrom
    [*=1]memory: 288
    [*=1]name: RDP
    [*=1]net0: virtio=22:D4:32:6B:1E:EA,bridgge=vmbr0
    [*=1]ostype: wxp
    [*=1]sockets: 1

So, I started that VM and it stops like follow:

> qm start 100

• [*=1]No accelerator found!

I tried to understand what was the problem, and after long googling I read that I had to see "vmx" flag in "cpuinfo" under "proc" folder, but it wasn't so in my case:

> cat /proc/cpuinfo

• [*=1]processor: 0
    [*=1]vendor_id: GenuineIntel
    [*=1]cpu family: 6
    [*=1]model: 23
    [*=1]model name: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6600 @ 3.96GHz
    [*=1]stepping: 10
    [*=1]cpu MHz: 3066.640
    [*=1]cache size: 2048 KB
    [*=1]fpu: yes
    [*=1]fpu_exception: yes
    [*=1]cpuid level: 13
    [*=1]wp: yes
    [*=1]flags: fpu wme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx constant_tsc up arch_perform pebs pebs bts xtopology tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc aperfmperf unfair_spinlock pni ssse3 cx16 xsave hypervisor lahf_lm dts
    [*=1]bogmips: 6133.28
    [*=1]clflush size: 64
    [*=1]cache_alignment: 64
    [*=1]address sizes: 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    [*=1]power management:

At this point, my question is: what do I have to do for resolving this issue?

Thank's for your attention.

Best Regards.

Hi italian01,

I think the correct term is that KVM & VMWare (64bit) use hardware assisted (or accelerated) virtualisation. The host can not expose the hardware assistance to a guest, so a guest can not be a host using this technology.

You *might* be able to start a guest in your KVM/Proxmox environment by passing the start command to qemu, but I'm sure this is not an advisable route since your experience will not be comparable to a real proxmox install.

Regards,
Dave

you can use container, but not KVM guests.

You should be able to do this, VMWare 8 does support VTx passthrough but you need to change the virtualisation engine under machine settings, processors. Mine is set for preferred mode: intel VT-x or AMD-V and Virtualise Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI. You get a message saying that it is reverting to automatic when you start your machine.
I haven't installed proxmox but I have installed another VE program that uses KVM and it works just fine.
You can also run this type of program under ESX but it is a little more involved (not much though)

First of all,

thank you so much for your attention.

you can use container, but not KVM guests.

Ok, Tom: I've understood your messagge, but what about this VMWare document: "Running Nested VMs" ( http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970 )?

Here, VMWare states that nesting is possible, even with both Xen and KVM guest hypervisor! Could this document suggests you something for helping me in any way? I tryed to apply its line-guide, but not everything is clear to me.

You should be able to do this, VMWare 8 does support VTx passthrough but you need to change the virtualisation engine under machine settings, processors. Mine is set for preferred mode: intel VT-x or AMD-V and Virtualise Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI. You get a message saying that it is reverting to automatic when you start your machine.
I haven't installed proxmox but I have installed another VE program that uses KVM and it works just fine.
You can also run this type of program under ESX but it is a little more involved (not much though)

JimH, I made those very settings to mine! Yet, my result was which one I have already reported above.

Another question: why doesn't my guess hypervisor make me able for adding "cdrom" to my VM? When I try to set to my existing VM "CD/DVD (ide2)" by "Use physical CD/DVD Drive", it states (by popup titled "Error"): "image '/cdrom' does not exists (500)". Yet, Proxmox shell permits mountig of this media drive (both CDROM and DVD)! And, it permits navigation through media content... Where am I making mistakes??

Thank's for your attention.

Regards.

I just successfully installed a Proxmox VE inside VMware Workstation 8, using nested virtualization.

I installed win7 on my hp microserver (AMD cpu), then vmware workstation 8 on top. as vmware guest, I installed Proxmox 2.0 rc1 and as guest inside Proxmox VE I run Ubuntu as KVM guest.

not really useful for me but seems to work :)

Italian01, are you certain that you have "hardware virtualisation" / AMD-V / VTx enabled in your bios (on the host system). I have seen systems that do not allow it even though the cpu is capable.

just to add, I cannot get it working on Intel CPU´s, maybe I got too old ones.

just to add, I cannot get it working on Intel CPU´s, maybe I got too old ones.

Maybe...! Fact remains that I've the Intel CPU with VT-x supporting, enabled by BIOS as well, and with no-particular settings (if which one exists) I get above error message.

Italian01, are you certain that you have "hardware virtualisation" / AMD-V / VTx enabled in your bios (on the host system). I have seen systems that do not allow it even though the cpu is capable.

JimH: yes, I enabled HW-V by BIOS. In fact, running little utility known as securable.exe ( http://www.GRC.com/SecurityNow ), I got following info:

HARDWARE VIRTUALIZATION: Locked ON! (that's, in other words, HW-V is on and it's setted on secure-mode).

Anywat, I found a way to bypass the "accelarion" issue: setting VM' option "KVM HW-V" to "No". So, I can start my new Virtual Machine guessed by ProxMox now.

Now, what remains is the issue with cdrom: have you got any suggestion for me, please??

Thanks for your attention.

Regards.

Now, what remains is the issue with cdrom: have you got any suggestion for me, please??

Regards.

new question, new thread please.

Anywat, I found a way to bypass the "accelarion" issue: setting VM' option "KVM HW-V" to "No". So, I can start my new Virtual Machine guessed by ProxMox now.

Regards.

Where do you set the option "KVM HW-V" to "No" ???

Where do you set the option "KVM HW-V" to "No" ???

on 1.9, see "Virtual Machine Configuration: Options - Disable KVM"
on 2.0, see "Virtual Machine: Options - KVM hardware virtualization"

I just successfully installed a Proxmox VE inside VMware Workstation 8, using nested virtualization.

I installed win7 on my hp microserver (AMD cpu), then vmware workstation 8 on top. as vmware guest, I installed Proxmox 2.0 rc1 and as guest inside Proxmox VE I run Ubuntu as KVM guest.

not really useful for me but seems to work :)

Thank you, also on workstation 8 on a i7. Checked "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" under processor and that fixed it running in nested with acceleration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!