Is this even close?

jva1601

Oct 19, 2010
I am trying to understand the difference between full virtualization and paravirtualization.

So with that in mind I came up with this analogy to help me wrap my head around these topics.

When traveling by car to go to another state or province there is a good chance you'll pass through a toll booth which you have to hand over payment before going through the other segment of the super highway.

In full virtualization the hypervisor also called vmm (virtual machine monitor) is the toll booth that controls I/O and memory management processes, represented as the line of cars waiting for their turn to pay the toll collector before getting a chance to reach their final destination (communicating with the underlying host hardware.)

In paravirtualized, the guest OS has an EZ-pass (pre-paid access) using a special lane to allow quicker access. There are different kinds of EZ-pass (virtIO drivers) one for hard drive, network card, video cards, cpu, etc. used to access the underlying physical hardware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!