Proxmox claiming MAC address

anyone can confirm that this works, with manual verification from the datacenter support?
It doesn't. Well at least it never worked for me. I applied this and msged DC support - they said it's fine and they don't see any wrong MAC traffic, but after a few days - same story. So the issue comes and goes.

Today they even locked my server (!!!). I applied a firewall rule as suggested here and it was unblocked. Again traffic is said as clean. We'll see how it goes now...

@proxmox Staff: a growing number of users is runing into problems with their hosters. We need a final solution, otherwise proxmox can not be called a "save solution" to use in a professional hosting environment!

It doesn't. Well at least it never worked for me. I applied this and msged DC support - they said it's fine and they don't see any wrong MAC traffic, but after a few days - same story. So the issue comes and goes.

Today they even locked my server (!!!). I applied a firewall rule as suggested here and it was unblocked. Again traffic is said as clean. We'll see how it goes now...
so, just to be sure, do you apply all theses fixes:

Code:
1) never use REJECT rules for inbound rules, and use DROP as default action.
2) if you are still on proxmox6, add an extra DROP for tcp/43 for inbound rule. (this is fixed in proxmox7 pve-firewall_4.2-3 )
3) echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/igmp_link_local_mcast_reports + add in /etc/sysctl.d/pve.conf
"net.ipv4.igmp_link_local_mcast_reports = 0"

?

do you have any logs from hetzner about the wrong mac or ip ?
(I would like to known if the mac is a mac of a specific device on proxmox (tap,fwbr,...), and if ip is an ip from proxmox host too)

Code:
1) never use REJECT rules for inbound rules, and use DROP as default action.
2) if you are still on proxmox6, add an extra DROP for tcp/43 for inbound rule. (this is fixed in proxmox7 pve-firewall_4.2-3 )
3) echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/igmp_link_local_mcast_reports + add in /etc/sysctl.d/pve.conf
"net.ipv4.igmp_link_local_mcast_reports = 0"

1. Never used REJECT at all.
2. I have this as the default rule on datacenter level:
1635226169930.png
3. Done long time ago

?

do you have any logs from hetzner about the wrong mac or ip ?
(I would like to known if the mac is a mac of a specific device on proxmox (tap,fwbr,...), and if ip is an ip from proxmox host too)
It seems to be random different MACs all the time, here are examples of abuse messages:

1635226321902.png
1635226355056.png
1635226384879.png

Last edited:
2. I have this as the default rule on datacenter level:
View attachment 30792
datacenter rules only apply to host firewall , not vm firewall.
do you have drop input policy on every vm firewall option ?
and if yes, do you use proxmox7 with last pve-firewall updates ? or if proxmox6, do you have added a "drop port 43" for every vm ?

datacenter rules only apply to host firewall , not vm firewall.
do you have drop input policy on every vm firewall option ?
and if yes, do you use proxmox7 with last pve-firewall updates ? or if proxmox6, do you have added a "drop port 43" for every vm ?
I still run Proxmox 6. On the mentioned host it's only one VM running with the following configuration of the firewall:

1635243860889.png
SMALL UPDATE: For the sake of completeness... The host has two VMs that have Firewall disabled, but those VMs are being used as a template for other hosts and were never up. I don't believe it can be an issue.

Last edited:
I still run Proxmox 6. On the mentioned host it's only one VM running with the following configuration of the firewall:

View attachment 30802
SMALL UPDATE: For the sake of completeness... The host has two VMs that have Firewall disabled, but those VMs are being used as a template for other hosts and were never up. I don't believe it can be an issue.
if you are on proxmox6, you need to add a rule to drop port tcp 43 direction in, at the end of your vms rules (for each vm where is firewall is enabled).
They are a bug in default input policy DROP, where a reject is done for port tcp43. (it's fixed in proxmox7 last version).

About template it's not a problem, as they are not running.

no news?
I need to setup a new proxmox server, and hetzner is the best cheap datacenter ....
how to do with this situation?

i have the same issue with hetzner, did the command above solved the issue for you?
no one of all proposed solutions works for me. I have switched to AWS for critical live streaming application. but is too expensive.

I need to use an hardware server with flat network.

no one of all proposed solutions works for me. I have switched to AWS for critical live streaming application. but is too expensive.

it's not good choice to go aws/azure they are very expensive

if both solutions (iptables drop port 43 + drop default action (and no reject rules) + sysctl to drop igmp local link) don't work, maybe it's another bug.

(but I'm 99% sure that your hetzner lock when vm is stop/start is coming from igmp local link)

I really need to have some trace with:

Code:
ebtables -I OUTPUT -o <phyiscal intertace> --among-src ! <mac1,mac2,mac3....> --log-level info --log-prefix "MAC-FLOOD-O" --log-ip -j CONTINUE
ebtables -I FORWARD -o <physical interface> --among-src ! <mac1,mac2,mac3....> --log-level info --log-prefix "MAC-FLOOD-F" --log-ip -j CONTINUE
where mac1,mac2,... is the full list of allowed mac
don't drop, only log. if lock occur at hetzner, we'll be able to compare mac from hetzner side, with the detailed log on proxmox side.

I was helped by the solutions that Spirit provided. Messages from Hetzner had never been received again for three weeks. Thanks!

Reactions: spirit
I was helped by the solutions that Spirit provided. Messages from Hetzner had never been received again for three weeks. Thanks!
did you ask for manual MAC verification from network support? i also went weeks without warnings .. then asking for manual scan .. the problem was always there ..

Also did you do some server and vps reboots?

Last edited:
I didn't ask for a manual check, but the server has restarted many times.
Unfortunately, more than three weeks later, I received the message again. And this time the number of unallowed MACs was 9. And I did not find any of them on my system, but before I could find them using the command: "bridge fdb show". There may be a problem in installing a new virtual machine with the control panel Hestia CP. I did not take any other actions.

But I am using Proxmox 6 and may be adding a DROP rule at the end of my rules incorrectly. How am I supposed to do it right?

Last edited:
But I am using Proxmox 6 and may be adding a DROP rule at the end of my rules incorrectly. How am I supposed to do it right?
in each each vm rules, you need to add a drop rule for tcp43 direction in

Capture-20211104065239-611x315.png

at the end

Capture-20211104070055-1575x122.png

and keep default input policy to DROP

Capture-20211104070208-424x408.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Protei
I did it earlier at the data center level. Now I did as you wrote and I will test. Thanks!

And if I disable all firewalls does it help?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!