Cluster can support 20000 mailbox?

bezgali.meriem

Oct 31, 2021
Hello,

Wanted to ask if proxmox mail getway can support 22000 mailbox?
and if so, can we use HA structure in different network segment?

Wanted to ask if proxmox mail getway can support 22000 mailbox?
PMG only relays mails to your downstream server - so the number of mailboxes/addresses is not so much relevant
(if you enable recipient verification each valid mailbox will be stored in the cache - but I doubt that this would result in more than ~100MB diskspace more being used)

The metrics for PMG is how many mails/second you try pass through it - this you can scale with more nodes and DNS round-robin and more RAM per node.

and if so, can we use HA structure in different network segment?
normally this works fine - just make sure that port 22 and 8006 is available between the nodes

I hope this helps!

PMG only relays mails to your downstream server - so the number of mailboxes/addresses is not so much relevant
(if you enable recipient verification each valid mailbox will be stored in the cache - but I doubt that this would result in more than ~100MB diskspace more being used)

The metrics for PMG is how many mails/second you try pass through it - this you can scale with more nodes and DNS round-robin and more RAM per node.

normally this works fine - just make sure that port 22 and 8006 is available between the nodes

I hope this helps!
in case of big flow of emails can i use two network interfaces, one for incoming emails and the other for outgoing emails? if so where can i configure that because in the web gui there is no option to do that?

in case of big flow of emails can i use two network interfaces, one for incoming emails and the other for outgoing emails? if so where can i configure that because in the web gui there is no option to do that?
The limit in terms of mail-flow a single PMG instance can handle is usually quite a bit lower than raw throughput over a 1G interface
I did some benchmarking quite a while ago:
https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pmg-devel/2019-November/000764.html
This should help in assessing whether one PMG instance could handle your load (I would expect this to be the case for most deployments short of very large enterprises or ISPs)...

If you still need to use separate IPs or interfaces for inbound and outbound processing you'd need to adapt the master.cf.in template - following:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!