[Tutorial] Run Open vSwitch (OVS) + DPDK on PVE 7.0

yux

Sep 29, 2021
Markdown (GitHub flavored):
Hello everyone,

I've successfully configured Open vSwitch + DPDK on PVE 7.0.
In my setup, a VM with 2-core 1.8 GHz can send 64 byte packets to wire via a Open vSwitch bridge at about 5Mpps via 10Gb Ethernet.
I write this to share you my steps. Hopefully this post can help with PVE development so that some day Open vSwitch + DPDK will be officially supported by Proxmox.

My environment:

- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v4 @ 1.80GHz
- 2 x 32GB DDR4 ECC registered RAM
- Proxmox VE 7.0-11
- Network adapter: Intel Ethernet Converged X520-DA2 10Gigabit Ethernet Card
- Guest has 2 CPU core, 2GB RAM, runs Debian bullseye

## Enable official Debian bullseye repos on your PVE host

Add the following lines to `/etc/apt/sources.list`:

```
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main
```

## Enable IOMMU and Hugepages
I use the `vfio-pci` driver for DPDK, so SR-IOV should be enabled on the host. Other drivers like `igb_uio` or `uio_pci_generic` don't need this IOMMU. For more information about Linux drivers for DPDK, see https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/linux_gsg/linux_drivers.html.

DPDK requires hugepages. I reserved 4 * 1GB hugepages on the host.

- Make sure IOMMU and SR-IOV are enabled in BIOS.
- Edit /etc/default/grub, on the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, add `intel_iommu=on iommu=pt default_hugepagesz=1G hugepagesz=1G hugepages=4`.
- Apply the change by running `grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg`.

## Auto-load `vfio-pci` on boot

Run `echo vfio-pci >> /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf`.

## Reboot and verification

- After rebooting, check if IOMMU is functioning by reading driver message:
```sh
dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU
```

- Check if hugepages are reserved:

```sh
apt install libhugetlbfs-bin
hugeadm --explain
```

- Check if `vfio-pci` is loaded:
```sh
lsmod | grep vfio-pci
```

- Mount hugepages

```sh
mkdir -p  /run/hugepages/kvm/1048576kB
mount -t hugetlbfs -o pagesize=1G none /run/hugepages/kvm/1048576kB
```

## Install Open vSwitch and DPDK

```sh
apt install dpdk openvswitch-switch-dpdk
update-alternatives --set ovs-vswitchd /usr/lib/openvswitch-switch-dpdk/ovs-vswitchd-dpdk
```

## Configure Open vSwitch

For more information about those options, see https://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/dpdk/#setup-ovs.

```sh
# Enable DPDK support
ovs-vsctl set Open_vSwitch . "other_config:dpdk-init=true"
# run on core 1 only
ovs-vsctl set Open_vSwitch . "other_config:dpdk-lcore-mask=0x1"
# allocate 2G huge pages
ovs-vsctl set Open_vSwitch . "other_config:dpdk-socket-mem=2048"
# enable vhost-user-client IOMMU support
ovs-vsctl set Open_vSwitch . "other_config:vhost-iommu-support=true"
# restart OVS
systemctl restart ovs-vswitchd.service
```

## Bind network adapter to DPDK

- List all available network adapters on the host:
```sh
dpdk-devbind.py -s
```
- Bind network adapter `0000:02:00.1` to DPDK:
```sh
dpdk-devbind.py --bind=vfio-pci 0000:02:00.1
```
- Check network adapter status again:
```sh
dpdk-devbind.py -s
```

## Create an OVS bridge and port

- Create an OVS bridge called `br0`:
```sh
ovs-vsctl add-br br0 -- set bridge br0 datapath_type=netdev
```
- Add network adapter `0000:02:00.1` to bridge `br0` as port `dpdk-p0`:
```sh
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 dpdk-p0 -- set Interface dpdk-p0 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:02:00.1
```
- Check OVS bridge and port status:
```sh
ovs-vsctl show
```

## Adding an OVS port to a KVM guest

- Create a vhost-user-client port called `vhost-user-client-1` on the OVS bridge `br0`:
```sh
# create a directory for vhost-user sockets
mkdir -p /var/run/vhostuserclient
# add a vhost-user-client port
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vhost-user-1 -- set Interface vhost-user-1 type=dpdkvhostuserclient "options:vhost-server-path=/var/run/vhostuserclient/vhost-user-client-1"
```

- Ensure the VM instance is powered off.
- Change the machine type to `q35`.
- Enable NUMA on guest CPU.
- Edit `/etc/pve/qemu-server/<ID>.conf`, add the following lines to add the port to guest with mac address `00:00:00:00:00:01` and enable hugepages and (optional) vIOMMU on the guest:
```
args: -machine q35+pve0,kernel_irqchip=split -device intel-iommu,intremap=on,caching-mode=on -chardev socket,id=char1,path=/var/run/vhostuserclient/vhost-user-client-1,server=on -netdev type=vhost-user,id=mynet1,chardev=char1,vhostforce=on -device virtio-net-pci,mac=00:00:00:00:00:01,netdev=mynet1
hugepages: 1024
```

## Other notes
The OVS bridge and port configs don't survive on reboot because systemd service `/lib/systemd/system/pvenetcommit.service` removes OVS DB file `/etc/openvswitch/conf.db` on boot.

Last edited:
For comparison, the default virtio + linux bridge network can only send packets at 640 kpps.

BTW, do you have a dedicated nic for the ovs-dpdk, and another nic for the proxmox management ip ?

My nic has 2 physical ports, and it appears 2 PCIe nics in the system, so I can use one port for DPDK.
Actually I also enabled SR-IOV on the nic. I also tried binding a virtual function to DPDK and so it also works very well.

Reactions: vesalius
Hello everyone,

Thank you yux for your tutorial.
We have deployed succesfully your guide in a testing HP Poliant DL360e G8. Our business provides services to regional ISPs in our country and we are interested in deploying ovs-dpdk in production. We have tested SR-IOV giving VFs to virtual machines also and we think is a good solution but ovs offers much more flexibility when you want to deploy NFV solutions.

We are alseo open on collaboration to implement those functionalities in Proxmox.

Do we have enough support in the package yet to just check a checkbox on a VMBR and mark it as DPDK enabled yet?

Hello,
very interesting post.
I have tested PVE7.0 VXLAN-EVPN with sr-iov (not flexible and # of pci dev limited) and mlx5 VDPA solution (bugous when using many vhost-vpda dev). I never test the openvswitch + dpdk solution because vxlan-evpn implementation does not accept FRR as EVPN termination.
But is was 2 years of that ...
@spirit do you know if actually FRR can work with openvswitch bridges ? if not what routing daemon is used ?
I m open on collaboration too.

Hello,
very interesting post.
I have tested PVE7.0 VXLAN-EVPN with sr-iov (not flexible and # of pci dev limited) and mlx5 VDPA solution (bugous when using many vhost-vpda dev). I never test the openvswitch + dpdk solution because vxlan-evpn implementation does not accept FRR as EVPN termination.
But is was 2 years of that ...
@spirit do you know if actually FRR can work with openvswitch bridges ? if not what routing daemon is used ?
I m open on collaboration too.
No, frr with bgp evpn only works with linux bridge. (I need to parse bridge mac-address-table and also use netlink event). No ovs support is implemented in frr.

So, no dpdk.

I hope that someday, xdp for linux bridge will be implemented, I'm seeing some patches in kernel mailing list time to time, but no official roadmap.

Hi Spirit,

Any better support for DPDK and your SDN plugin with the latest 7.3 and 5.15 or 5.19 kernel?

I also have some routers that suffer performance due to Linux kernel limitations when it comes to High PPS network traffic.,

From my knowledge there is DPDK and XDP and VPP that can be used for acceleration,
What do you recommend to get the best performance from Proxmox in the Software networking space?

Reactions: servada
Has someone made comparison on a system with and without using dpdk on 100gbit ceph?

Reactions: weehooey
I have four interface dpdk type vhostuserclient need to added. args seems little bit confusing, can you paste example how to add 2x interface ?

- Ensure the VM instance is powered off.
- Change the machine type to `q35`.
- Enable NUMA on guest CPU.
- Edit `/etc/pve/qemu-server/<ID>.conf`, add the following lines to add the port to guest with mac address `00:00:00:00:00:01` and enable hugepages and (optional) vIOMMU on the guest:
Hello, I'm using PVE 8 and tried to follow your tutorial but args looks confusing, and PVE returned error:
kvm: -chardev socket,id=char1,path=/var/run/vhostuserclient/vhost-user-client-1,server=on: info: QEMU waiting for connection on: disconnected:unix:/var/run/vhostuserclient/vhost-user-client-1,server=on
kvm: -device pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e: Bus 'pci.0' not found
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1
May I see your full qemu.conf file? And below goes my qemu config:
boot: order=scsi0;ide2
cores: 1
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.2,ctime=1706799695
numa: 1
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-lvm:vm-1006-disk-0,iothread=1,size=32G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=c87353cd-3a1c-44d8-af12-7811d92b314d
sockets: 1
vmgenid: f4041666-fd04-48a8-a29d-f344034ab20b
args: -machine q35+pve0,kernel_irqchip=split -device intel-iommu,intremap=on,caching-mode=on -chardev socket,id=char1,path=/var/run/vhostuserclient/vhost-user-client-1,server=on -netdev type=vhost-user,id=mynet1,chardev=char1,vhostforce=on -device virtio-net-pci,mac=00:00:00:00:00:01,netdev=mynet1
hugepages: 1024

Hello, I'm using PVE 8 and tried to follow your tutorial but args looks confusing, and PVE returned error:

May I see your full qemu.conf file? And below goes my qemu config:
I found reason. This issue occurs because I created VM as i440FX pattern, tutorial should be no problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!