Proxmox VE 6.3 available

Small bug I have found with a default installation (as in, not changing any parameters when installing), the default “local” store doesn’t always show the ISO Images category. Sometimes you need to go to another section and then come back before you can see this. Hope I explained that properly...

Hi,
Small bug I have found with a default installation (as in, not changing any parameters when installing), the default “local” store doesn’t always show the ISO Images category. Sometimes you need to go to another section and then come back before you can see this. Hope I explained that properly...
thanks for the report. We are already aware of this and the problem should go away when you update to pve-manager 6.3-3.

Reactions: Whitterquick
Facing issues with my VMs. Most of the time it starts with "Guest has not initialized the display (yet)"

Code:
root@pve-macpro-14:~# qm config 100
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LC_TERMINAL = "iTerm2",
    LC_CTYPE = "en_GB.UTF-8",
    LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_US.UTF-8").
agent: 1
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=ide0;net0
cores: 8
cpu: Penryn
efidisk0: vm_pool:vm-100-disk-1,size=1M
machine: q35
memory: 8192
name: BS
net0: vmxnet3=FE:B4:07:D6:67:C1,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 1
ostype: other
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=ff5e030f-2a13-4289-af26-9f3ba1273245
sockets: 1
vga: vmware,memory=32
virtio0: vm_pool:vm-100-disk-0,size=320G
vmgenid: 40e0f3cf-b05d-49a3-a941-2a7ec709c40b

Hi,
Facing issues with my VMs. Most of the time it starts with "Guest has not initialized the display (yet)"

Code:
root@pve-macpro-14:~# qm config 100
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LC_TERMINAL = "iTerm2",
    LC_CTYPE = "en_GB.UTF-8",
    LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_US.UTF-8").
agent: 1
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=ide0;net0
cores: 8
cpu: Penryn
efidisk0: vm_pool:vm-100-disk-1,size=1M
machine: q35
memory: 8192
name: BS
net0: vmxnet3=FE:B4:07:D6:67:C1,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 1
ostype: other
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=ff5e030f-2a13-4289-af26-9f3ba1273245
sockets: 1
vga: vmware,memory=32
virtio0: vm_pool:vm-100-disk-0,size=320G
vmgenid: 40e0f3cf-b05d-49a3-a941-2a7ec709c40b
the boot order says ide0, but the disk is attached to virtio0.

@Fabian_E

That's correct as I removed the ide0 from the config before pasting it as it isn't supposed to be shared.
Its still the same even when all the disks are removed.

Cheers

@Fabian_E

That's correct as I removed the ide0 from the config before pasting it as it isn't supposed to be shared.
Its still the same even when all the disks are removed.

Cheers
I'm not sure I understand. Why would you remove all disks?

So it does work sometimes? Did you make any changes between retries?

There were some changes in Qemu, so it doesn't initialize all disks at boot time anymore. Because of that you need to include all of your boot disks in the boot order. You can configure this in the Options tab for your VM.

If you upgraded from a version before PVE 6.2, please have a look at this.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would you remove all disks?

So it does work sometimes? Did you make any changes between retries?

There were some changes in Qemu, so it doesn't initialize all disks at boot time anymore. Because of that you need to include all of your boot disks in the boot order. You can configure this in the Options tab for your VM.

If you upgraded from a version before PVE 6.2, please have a look at this.
Why aren’t these things made clearer before people ask about them individually?

Reactions: Whitterquick
Hi,

thanks for the report. We are already aware of this and the problem should go away when you update to pve-manager 6.3-3.

Another is if you rename the default pve to something else when setting up hostname, the server will say “pve not found” several times when booting up (possibly checking each connected drive?) and then it will load as normal. I think everyone’s dream is to have as few errors and warnings as possible when booting up even if they are safe or false positives.

@Fabian_E @t.lamprecht

So after a lot of testing related to EFI Disk, I have found out the the EFI disk still has issues on Ceph RBD.
I have a Ceph Hyperconverged setup with 3 hosts and as soon as I move the EFI disk to Ceph RBD the VM starts having guest display init issue. Moving efidisk back to local storage fixes issue.

Another is if you rename the default pve to something else when setting up hostname, the server will say “pve not found” several times when booting up (possibly checking each connected drive?) and then it will load as normal. I think everyone’s dream is to have as few errors and warnings as possible when booting up even if they are safe or false positives.
Could you share the exact error message and surrounding part of the boot log? Did you also change your /etc/hosts?

@Fabian_E @t.lamprecht

So after a lot of testing related to EFI Disk, I have found out the the EFI disk still has issues on Ceph RBD.
I have a Ceph Hyperconverged setup with 3 hosts and as soon as I move the EFI disk to Ceph RBD the VM starts having guest display init issue. Moving efidisk back to local storage fixes issue.
Yes, there are currently issues with this. I recently sent a patch for the case when the VM isn't running. It's not clear yet why it fails in case when the VM is running, but at least it really throws an error then.

No, that is for known issues due to changes we could not (practically) avoid, this is a regression we can just fix - the patch Fabian mentioned was applied and will be rolled out soon.

Reactions: shantur
Hi,

does clearing the browser cache help? What is the output of:
Code:
pvesh get /cluster/resources | grep <Your storage ID>
pvesh get /storage/<Your storage ID>
Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked the forums in a while... The ISO storage is now visible, I haven't changed anything, was probably the cache as you mentioned above.

Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked the forums in a while... The ISO storage is now visible, I haven't changed anything, was probably the cache as you mentioned above.
No, there was indeed a problem, see posts #21 and #22 in this thread. If you're lucky you don't encounter it, but upgrading to pve-manager 6.3-3 should solve the problem for real.

No, there was indeed a problem, see posts #21 and #22 in this thread. If you're lucky you don't encounter it, but upgrading to pve-manager 6.3-3 should solve the problem for real.
Yeah well, I upgraded already and I didn't notice any issues. As said above, the ISO storage is now shown and works without any issues. I really like the fact that you implemented this "storage-type-splitting-in-ui" feature.

Alsothoer thing I'm experiencing, the "update" button in node updates section and the "packages" button in node summary section don't do anything when clicked. Only one XHR request is fired against the local node subscription api endpoint. Is that intended or not expected? If not, please tell me so I can post a more detailed report in a new thread.

Yeah well, I upgraded already and I didn't notice any issues. As said above, the ISO storage is now shown and works without any issues. I really like the fact that you implemented this "storage-type-splitting-in-ui" feature.
I wouldn't call that "not changing anything" ;)

Alsothoer thing I'm experiencing, the "update" button in node updates section and the "packages" button in node summary section don't do anything when clicked. Only one XHR request is fired against the local node subscription api endpoint. Is that intended or not expected? If not, please tell me so I can post a more detailed report in a new thread.
It should do something after you click "OK". If that doesn't work, yes, please open a new thread with the details.

I wouldn't call that "not changing anything" ;)
Okay, fair.
It should do something after you click "OK". If that doesn't work, yes, please open a new thread with the details.
I provided wrong information, the button that doesn't do anything isn't the upgrade button, but the refresh button. I opened a new thread here, so we don't trash this announcement thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!