Turnkey Linux

Kynao

Dec 21, 2010
This suggestion is not an appliance in particular but suggest to help turnkey linux community to bring their virtual appliances under openvz by working hand in hand as it's one of their goals and they're also users of Proxmox. They already have great images and it would be too bad to do the same work they already did, besides they do great packaging and it would be a must to select from Proxmox turnkey appliances (like an appliance store if you prefer) that would be automatically downloaded and installed.

Few months ago there was a longer discussion between us and TKL - without any real outcome. We have already a full toolkit for automated appliance building for OpenVZ (dab), so its just very easy to start. But TKL is not focusing on OpenVZ, so thats the reason why they decided not to go for OpenVZ.

So if you want OpenVZ, just use our appliances or build your own with dab. If you want TKL or any other appliances, just install them from ISO as KVM guest, working great.

As soon as we support KVM appliances (OFV format) it will be even easier.

I still not understand why they do not just use/adapt our dab to build openvz appliances - but there must be a reason :)

Last edited:
I do not understand either :) and i were searching for an answer, thinking there were something obvious i needed to learn :)
What do you think about proposing them to adapt your tool to their needs ? they would bring us an answer :)

we did this already.

we know what is needed to be done to bring TKL to Proxmox VE and also the TKL teamleader know it also. But someone have to do the work. And as it is from minor interest here and also for the TKL guys, currently no one is doing/sponsoring the work.

so to bring this discussion to an end - as long as noone is interested (in terms of coding and/or paying developers) nothing will happen soon.

Tom, I'm very interested in pushing this forward. I love proxmox and turnkeylinux, and I know a lot of people is expecting this to happen. I think it's a two step procedure:

1. Making OVZ images of the TKL Appliances. I'll check dab and see what I can do in the ways of producing the ovz compatible template of the appliances. Let me read a bit and play to see the results and come back here for some help.

2. Creating the 3rd party channel for proxmox. It shouldn't be very complex based on your current code with your channel.

"we know what is needed to be done to bring TKL to Proxmox VE and also the TKL teamleader know it also"

If this is true, I'll do it in my spare time. I'm willing to help coding/testing, the only think I ask is to have clearly stated what needs to be done. If you can email me with these steps/goals detailed and info to start working, I'll come back with something.

I'll start these days by checking dab and see if I can produce a working version of the TKL Core appliance.

Email me at adrian at turnkeylinux dot org and let's see if we can do something for Q1 of 2011.

Happy holidays!

currently our integrated appliance downloader supports only OpenVZ and only one channel (our own).
the goal: multiple channels (third party) and KVM templates (supporting OFV format).

as soon as this is developed all users can easily add TKL appliances. this task is not on the first place here as we need to push our 2.x release first. But we accept patches from external dev´s.

br, Martin

Hi everyone, I manage to make a script that leverage our tklpatch system (based on the ideas of one of our members, Jed). We are keeping the discussion under this thread (http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/general/20101208/creating-openvz-templates-leveraging-tklpatch)

So far, I've successfully converted Core and Revision Control appliance to ovz templates and are working fine in proxmox, but we'd like to polish a bit the process, my OVZ knowledge is still very poor, so I'll be documenting myself.

Anyway, if any of you guys could point me to a good info on preseeding the vm with default values, that's our next step in looking for an optimal solution.

Please those interested in testing, your feedback is welcome. Ask questions at the tkl forums.

Anyway, if any of you guys could point me to a good info on preseeding the vm with default values, ...

you talk about RAM, HDD size for the container? this is controlled by the host and not part of the template. In fact, this is a real cool part of OpenVZ, e.g. you can resize the HDD size of the container during runtime with no interruption at all.

No, I didn't mean that. I meant user passwords/domains and the such. Turnkeylinux has a inithooks system which runs on firstboot, asking for root password, mysql root password, and any other application configuration needed. Also, it ask for the turnkeyhub's api key (if you have one and want to use the TKLBAM backup and migration system).

The answer to these questions can be preseeded if we could grab that info and create a file inside the filesystem with those answers in creation time. When inithooks run, it's going to detect the files and complete configuration without the need of user interaction. In the case of proxmox, which will not include a form to fill those answers before creating the VM, the approach could be setting defaults answers and creating the file when the user create the vm.

So far, in my tests, I:
- Can convert any turnkeylinux appliance from iso to an ovztemplate.
- Can deploy the template successfully in proxmox.
- Need to log into the console, and manually run inithooks (Why it doesn't run on startup?) to complete the appliance setup.
- Need to start manually mysql as it's always down (Why?)

So, to be more clear on the questions:
1. Is there any hook where I can add additional commands once the container is created, for example, to create default passwords/configurations file so that when the appliance start it ends up being fully configured?

2. Why does mysql/inithooks are not run during startup? (Any idea of what to check, or what info should I read?)

Thanks for the support.

1. Is there any hook where I can add additional commands once the container is created, for example, to create default passwords/configurations file so that when the appliance start it ends up being fully configured?

We usually just create an init.d script (which is deleted after the first boot).

2. Why does mysql/inithooks are not run during startup? (Any idea of what to check, or what info should I read?)

any hint in the init log?

Guys, I've polished the script/patch and finally made a good conversion system from the turnkey isos to ovz templates:

- The appliance will be preconfigured with default passwords using turnkeylinux's inithooks system. (And will respect the root password set at creation time)
- Issues with starting services have been resolved.
- Security updates are configured to not run on firstboot. (You can ssh to the vm and update/upgrade.)

I've tested this with the redmine appliance and it's a nice turnkey experience. I'll be testing this week with other appliances. If everything goes ok, I hope that by the end of this month we'll publish the templates on the turnkeylinux website. I'll tell you guys when they are ready.

This closes the first point in my previous post: Making OVZ images of the TKL Appliances.

Regarding the second (Creating the 3rd party channel for proxmox) I'll take a look at the code, but won't promise anything. The truth is that having the tkl running under proxmox already, I have a large queue of things to get done. But as I do love proxmox, I'll take a look. Maybe I get this done before this year ends.

[EDIT]: It's in pearl!!! :S I think I'm not the guy for the job, I have no plans on learning pearl anytime soon, but I'll try to find someone who does. Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!