[SOLVED] Windows 2019 QEMU agent service missing after installation

Jan 23, 2020
I will add a resolution to avoid scrolling down.
This is just for the ISO file that installs agent 0.1.173. Don't run the installation from the root of the ISO folder.
Go to folder Guest Agent and then run MSI file from there. It is quite a different procedure with that MSI file. It is quicker and it does everything with a script and in the and you get a guest agent windows service.

I am trying to add a guest agent to Windows 2019 but after successful installation, there is no QEMU-GA service even installation is stating that it started it.

From PowerShell:
Get-Service QEMU-GA
Get-Service : Cannot find any service with service name 'QEMU-GA'.

Versions:
proxmox-ve: 6.1-2 (running kernel: 5.3.10-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.1-7 (running version: 6.1-7/13e58d5e)
Guest agent: virtio-win-0.1.173
Windows 2019 standard (1809)
VirtIO Balloon and VirtIO Serial drivers installed
QEMU Guest Agent enabled in options

Last edited:
Hi,

Are you sure you have installed qemu-ga-x64.msi without error?

Also check service QEMU Guest Agent in windows if running, or maybe you have missing something.

Please check the steps again because i have tried on my own Lab, everything was ok

resources:
- Qemu-guest-agent wiki:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent
- Qemu-guest-agent youtube tutorial:
https://youtu.be/fn6iJzRQDkw

Hi,

Are you sure you have installed qemu-ga-x64.msi without error?

Also check service QEMU Guest Agent in windows if running, or maybe you have missing something.

Please check the steps again because i have tried on my own Lab, everything was ok

resources:
- Qemu-guest-agent wiki:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent
- Qemu-guest-agent youtube tutorial:
https://youtu.be/fn6iJzRQDkw
2020-03-24 15_41_15-Window.png2020-03-24 15_40_39-Window.png2020-03-24 15_40_25-Window.png2020-03-24 15_40_09-Window.png2020-03-24 15_39_44-Window.png2020-03-24 15_39_04-Window.png

The last window from installation wizard is saying that it finished and there isn't any error mentioned so I am assuming that it went without errors.
I didn't try to add Ballooning service since I don't yet have the main QEMU service.

Hi,

Works here - please try to remove the agent inside window and reinstall it again

Code:
C:\Program Files\Qemu-ga>qemu-ga.exe -s uninstall

C:\Program Files\Qemu-ga>qemu-ga.exe -s vss-unistall

if not work, post your VM config qm config <VMID> and OS info as well qm agent <VMID> get-osinfo

Hi,

Works here - please try to remove the agent inside the window and reinstall it again

Code:
C:\Program Files\Qemu-ga>qemu-ga.exe -s uninstall

C:\Program Files\Qemu-ga>qemu-ga.exe -s vss-unistall

if not work, post your VM config qm config <VMID> and OS info as well qm agent <VMID> get-osinfo
Thanks for your help but I think I have figured out where is the problem while I was trying to execute qemu-ga.exe commands.

We don't have that Qemu-ga folders after installation finish. I have noticed that during installation there isn't any path for installation files and that the browse button is greyed out so I can put any path for the installation. Install wizard finishes installation but in the end, there aren't any files created. You can see on the first screenshot what I am talking about.
In the second screenshot, you have the result of qm config but nothing from qm agent since there isn't any agent on that VM.

Attachments

• 2020-04-01 15_51_47- Proxmox agent install.png
    2020-04-01 15_51_47- Proxmox agent install.png
    44 KB · Views: 15
  • 2020-04-01 16_01_28-qm-config-win-2016.png
    2020-04-01 16_01_28-qm-config-win-2016.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 15

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!