[SOLVED] PVE 5.4-11 + Corosync 3.x: major issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except I said "that's not enough for cluster ops and any sort of back end traffic"

Which is more than cluster ops alone. *eyeroll*

If the backend network link gets saturated, BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO THE CLUSTER.
And a 100Mbps OVH VRack isn't quite the same as a set of servers on the same 100Mbps switch.

If you try moving VMs from one server to another, or use the VRack for backups, you will have troubles beyond speed of the transfer with a 100Mbps VRack.

Meanwhile, why is it a bad idea to test that you're getting the proper performance on the VRack network?

sorry but this is not correct. it is far enough for corosync alone, just make shure you dont run your migrations over this.
corosync itself uses nothing just needs super low latency

on a 4 node cluster we have stable 150kbit down and upload on that line.
so no you do not need more than those 100mbit. i dont since i have corosync seperated and run the rest of ove traffics over the other network card.

you do have something in /var/log/kern.log or #dmesg related to nic ?
nic model / driver ?
do you use ovs or linux bridge ?
do you host locally or in a public provider (ovh, heizner,....)

(maybe a public googlesheet to centralize all differents user config could help to compare setup ?)

in dmesg i have this :
[2457074.690214] traps: corosync[20684] trap divide error ip:7f210adb8f56 sp:7f20ff71da50 error:0 in libknet.so.1.3.0[7f210adad000+13000]

for corosync, for twho hosts, the nic are chelsio N320E and the other one is with BCM5716.
it's fully local, no vrack or whatever

Hi,
I'm able to reproduce the link down and some bad other behaviour, when the rx (ingress traffic) is saturated.
(3 nodes cluster, launch an iperf from node2 to node3, node3 is link down from node1 and I had once a corosync segfault).

This is with a gigabit link, when I'm reaching around 900-950 mbits.

no impact on outbound traffic

I have also done test with saturate the cpu, no impact.

For the inbound traffic, I can mitigate it with traffic shapping

Code:
modprobe ifb numifbs=1
ip link set dev ifb0 up
tc qdisc add dev eno1 handle ffff: ingress
tc filter add dev eno1 parent ffff: protocol ip u32 match u32 0 0 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0
tc qdisc add dev ifb0 root handle 1: htb default 10
tc class add dev ifb0 parent 1: classid 1:10 htb rate 50mbit
tc filter add dev ifb0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 1 u32 match ip protocol 1 0xff flowid 1:10  #match icmp
tc filter add dev ifb0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 1 u32 match ip protocol 1 0xff flowid 1:10  #match udp
tc class add dev ifb0 parent 1: classid 1:20 htb rate 850mbit
tc filter add dev ifb0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 9 u32 match u8 0 0 flowid 1:20 #other traffic

replace "eno1" by your nic, or if you use vlan "eno1.XXX"

I had tried with priority queues, but it dont seem to work . But I'm not an expert with tc.

Except I said "that's not enough for cluster ops and any sort of back end traffic"

Which is more than cluster ops alone. *eyeroll*

please,.. first of dont poisen this topic, its to important.

second i know what im doing. im fine. since you can´t read or comprehend what i already wrote please dont try to give me advice copy pasted from the basic howtos.

since you having a hard time to comprehend, one last time, no other traffic than corosync runs there, so please stop it and leave this threat to topic

thanks.

to have more info, If you could enable debug log in corosync
corosync.conf
-------------------
logging {
debug: on
to_syslog: yes
}

and install (#apt install systemd-coredump) to have segfault coredump (/var/lib/systemd/coredump/*.lz4)

Thanks !

Just a heads up that the second filter also matches protocol 1 (icmp) only...

Code:
modprobe ifb numifbs=1
ip link set dev ifb0 up
tc qdisc add dev eno1 handle ffff: ingress
tc filter add dev eno1 parent ffff: protocol ip u32 match u32 0 0 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0
tc qdisc add dev ifb0 root handle 1: htb default 10
tc class add dev ifb0 parent 1: classid 1:10 htb rate 50mbit
tc filter add dev ifb0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 1 u32 match ip protocol 1 0xff flowid 1:10  #match icmp
tc filter add dev ifb0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 1 u32 match ip protocol 1 0xff flowid 1:10  #match udp
tc class add dev ifb0 parent 1: classid 1:20 htb rate 850mbit
tc filter add dev ifb0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 9 u32 match u8 0 0 flowid 1:20 #other traffic

replace "eno1" by your nic, or if you use vlan "eno1.XXX"

I had tried with priority queues, but it dont seem to work . But I'm not an expert with tc.

Confirmed. Little bottleneck in the network destroy corosync connection. I used separate core switch (the same as before) isolated from the rest network (physically) and corosync is again stable like 2.x version.
I think maybe vlan in the same switch can help too.
I`m using 10Gb UBNT switches in the backbone.

Attempting to upgrade Proxmox from version 5.4-13 to 6.x
only 1 node
got to pvecm status
error:
Code:
Corosync config '/etc/pve/corosync.conf' does not exist - is this node part of a cluster?
Cannot initialize CMAP service

apt dist-upgrade does nothing!
What now?

Thanks a lot! I've reverted the kernel/driver flags and installed the new patched version and after initial tests it looks very promising. There are still retransmits while the LACP bonds are renegotiating if I play with the bonding settings and such but that is to be expected.

I'm experimenting with lacp with balance-tcp (yes, docs say active-backup only) over four 1G links per host connected to a single Cisco switch with port-channel load-balance src-dst-port and I'm able to fully saturate all links between two hosts with iperf3 --client hostname --time 20 --cport 12345 --parallel 8. (the --cport is to get sequential src tcp ports so the hash algorithm spreads traffic more or less evenly.)

Still no crash or funky behavior and the cluster as a whole seems unaffected. I'll continue the testing and report back.

Reactions: spirit
the crazy part is i activated debug almsot 2 days ago, i had a few rx transmission errors but no crashes and cluster is stable.
so either its a wierd coincidence or debug alone changed something lol

Looks like the corosync crash should be fixed from this PR: https://github.com/kronosnet/kronosnet/pull/257

And is now part of pvetest ... anyone experiencing the corosync crash, please try it! Direct link here if not on pvetest:

http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/buster/pvetest/binary-amd64/libknet1_1.11-pve2_amd64.deb
Great, frist morning without a broken cluster

Code:
Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes:   7
Highest expected: 7
Total votes:      7
Quorum:           4
Flags:            Quorate

Reactions: spirit
Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!