Installation with m.2 - OK ?

kappclark

Feb 13, 2019
Vermont, USA
www.clark-hart.us
Wondering if it is advisable to build a new proxmox using a 256GB nvme m.2 as boot drive ?

Still looking for a good guide to setting up storage properly in zfs. Does the m.2 get setup as zfs ?

My idea was boot from m.2, and 4 sata devices connected (4 x 1 TB) raid 10 ... (I think ZFS uses a different term)

Can you tell I am still a beginner with zfs ??

THX,

If the m.2 is being used just for the boot disk then I see no issues at all, your have a single point of failure, just make sure you keep a backup of your VM config files encase the m.2 ever dies.

Obviously if this is a mission critical server then you would be better off placing the boot drive onto the 4 x 1TB Raid 10 so a single disk is less likely to take the system down.

Many people will use small boot able devices for the PVE install and then host all the VM data on normal disks to make use of all the drive bays within their server for VM data.

If anything a m.2 NVME will be much faster / better life span than booting off a USB drive for example.

Many people will use small boot able devices for the PVE install and then host all the VM data on normal disks to make use of all the drive bays within their server for VM data.

If anything a m.2 NVME will be much faster / better life span than booting off a USB drive for example.

Thank you - and that is just what I was thinkung - I only have 4 on-board sata ports on the MB, so wanted to avoid getting a controller board..the MSI Motherboard does support boot from m.2, and it is my understanding that the recent Linux kernels support nvme boot.

I was thinking that I might put the ISO images also on the NVME (maybe 25 - 30 GB MAX) in a sep partition - bad idea ? I know I won't need all the 250GB, and wouldn't need iso's on a daily basis ... (these wld be backed up of course) ..

Last edited:
Thx - I remember someone at work telling me the same thing. Not all MB's made the same

So I followed the advice, and made sure it supported NVMe before purchase ..

so this is the MB I got, an MSI B450M Pro VDH-Plus and the specs show it supports NVMe as it brags "
  • Turbo M.2: Running at PCI-E Gen3 x4 maximizes performance for NVMe based SSDs."
Still have not gotten the CPU or PSU -- Ryzen flavor for sure. Just a home network, so thinking Ryzen 2200G (although it will be running headless, so not sure if I need the integrated graphics - probably to do the initial setup...

Going to be a fun build..

@kappclark :
In my proxmox-ve: 5.4-2 server works a Fujitsu Intel Mainboard with a Samsung 960 series 256GB NVMe as boot device. The containers are on a 4x4TB WD RED Striped Mirrored Vdev ZFS-Pool (what others would call RAID10 ;-) ). Works like a charm.

@kappclark :
In my proxmox-ve: 5.4-2 server works a Fujitsu Intel Mainboard with a Samsung 960 series 256GB NVMe as boot device. The containers are on a 4x4TB WD RED Striped Mirrored Vdev ZFS-Pool (what others would call RAID10 ;-) ). Works like a charm.

Thanks ! This is just what I am planning, with perhaps a bit smaller-sized array...time to order the HD's

Reactions: chriskirsche

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!