Boot failed Not a bootable disk

ioanv

Dec 11, 2014
Hi all:

One of my VMs in my Proxmox 5.4 cluster stopped working after a stop / start.
Yesterday the VM was working just fine.
I have tried to restore the VM to another storage (from weekly backup).
Backup was done on 27.07 and 3.08 and the machine was working on 4.08.2019.

After the restore (with both versions) I still get the same error: boot failed, not a bootable disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Vlad

HI,
can you post the output of `qm config VMID` with VMID being the corresponding ID. Have you checked that the correct disk is selected as boot device under 'VM->Options'?

Reactions: realarkaxe
HI,
can you post the output of `qm config VMID` with VMID being the corresponding ID. Have you checked that the correct disk is selected as boot device under 'VM->Options'?
Hi Chris
Thanks for your reply. Here is the output:
# qm config 146
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 6
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 32768
name: tyr
net0: virtio=92:7F:6B:C1:6C:DF,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
sata0: tyr_nfs:146/vm-146-disk-0.raw,cache=writeback,size=250G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=63eb6cbf-88cb-4567-a40c-054a36f3c5c5
sockets: 1
vmgenid: da23a89f-0c60-4fef-a3e0-796a9f275d86

At this point the VM has the hdd on a network share since I restored it from backup and apparently I cannot restore on the local hdd of the node.

upload_2019-8-5_15-59-5.png

Have you tried to boot from a live CD and check the disk for errors? Seems like the bootloader got corrupted. It might be necessary to restore grub or whatever bootloader you are using in the VM.

Have you tried to boot from a live CD and check the disk for errors? Seems like the bootloader got corrupted. It might be necessary to restore grub or whatever bootloader you are using in the VM.

upload_2019-8-5_16-55-52.png

upload_2019-8-5_16-54-15.png
upload_2019-8-5_16-54-40.png

According to this output you have no filesystem and not even a valid partition table on /dev/sda
Do you see the same for both VMs the original one and the one restored from backup?

According to this output you have no filesystem and not even a valid partition table on /dev/sda
Do you see the same for both VMs the original one and the one restored from backup?
Yes on both of them.

Are these disks formatted with a MBR or GPT? I assume GPT, so you could try to check the output of `gdisk -l /dev/sda` just to be sure, although fdisk should be able to detect GPT disks as well.
Further, if you want to try to restore the partition table, you could use tools like this http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/
Since you have the backup there is at least no danger of loosing more data.

Hello I have the same issue and all my previus backups do the same, I am using proxmox 6.4

Hi, this problem has recurrently appeared to me on servers installed in Proxmox (various versions), with Linux OS (debian, CentOS, Ubuntu), the least expected day the computer restarts and throws the fault indicated by Ioanv, I currently have this inconvenience, could someone help me with this?

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla de 2021-11-11 12-54-06.png
    Captura de pantalla de 2021-11-11 12-54-06.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 43
I ran into the same issue today. All recent backups were flawed. Looks like the first bytes of the disk were zeroed.
This is a severe issue as it goes undetected for a long time until the server is rebooted.
It took me hours to investigate and repair. I used testdisk to recreate the root partion and a debian installer cd image in rescue mode to re-install grub.

Hi @RolandK

I was only hit once, on SATA disk. Since than, I had no other issue with corrupt partitions.

Regards

Do you still use sata vdisks?
Or did you change (all?) to another bus-type in the meantime? If yes, which one(s)?

@Neobin
SCSI Controller either Default (LSI 53C895A) or VirtIO SCSI;
Vast majority of disks: ide0. Just a few sata0 and scsi0.

Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!