Server build for small office

Hi I was thinking of building a small server for the office based on the new Ryzen processors (after they fixed the linux issue)
Something like this,

Ryzen 3900x
64GB ECC Ram
Asrock Rack X470D4U
Intel 905P drive as cache/slog
3x 10TB WD Red in RAID-Z2

I will be running a few VM's on them of which the heaviest would be a server with MSSQL and a server running Oracle 11G. (with about 12 users on them)

My question is on the disk layout, running this on ZFS would this be fast enough?

hi,

My question is on the disk layout, running this on ZFS would this be fast enough?

i think so. you have more than enough ram and the other specs are also on the good side.

Would a three-way mirror make more sense then RaidZ2 speed wise?
You can find a quick summary about RAID levels here: https://calomel.org/zfs_raid_speed_capacity.html
In a nutshell, you need at least 4 drives for RaidZ2 and going with RaidZ1 on 10TB drives seems like a recipe for disaster.
You can either go with:
  • 2 drives in Raid0 for speed purposes, while keeping backups on the 3rd drive
  • 2 drives in Raid1 for redundancy purposes, while keeping backups on the 3rd drive
  • getting a 4th drive and setting up Raid10
As for Intel 905P drive - i doubt you'll have significant gains with a ZIL/SLOG cache. I'd rather use it for running a db server(s) off it and actually benefit from high IOPS and low latency.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!