[SOLVED] How to force headers being installed with the new kernel

Vladimir Bulgaru

Jun 1, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Hello!

Occasionally the pve-kernel gets updated. I am using DKMS to compile the drivers for a device when the kernel gets updated. The catch lies in the fact that in order to compile those drivers, kernel headers are necessary and on update are missing.

This results in the system becoming degraded as soon as the kernel is updated.

Normally i try to monitor the updates so that i don't skip the kernel update and it helps that there's a notification telling that the kernel has been updated and the reboot is necessary.

I was wondering if there are tips & tricks how to have headers installed with the kernel? And if there are none, what would be the best angle to automate this?

Am i correct to assume according to this reply, that if i have pve-headers installed, the new headers will automatically be updated with the new kernel?

Am i correct to assume according to this reply, that if i have pve-headers installed, the new headers will automatically be updated with the new kernel?
yes, pve-headers (currently) depends on pve-headers-4.15 which depends on the current pve-headers-package and is in sync with pve-kernel-4.15

Reactions: Vladimir Bulgaru

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!