[SOLVED] Problem convert template!

jimmy57000

Feb 21, 2016
Hello,

I have this error with convert my VM (LXC) to template

Directory storage 'local' does not support container templates! (500)

Ideas ?

Thanks you !

Reactions: Jaime Hablutzel
I can not understand the documentation ..

I need to reinstall my node or run some commands?

Thanks again !

In fact, I do not know if I have to create a template.
Distributions (linux) proposed not root enabled.

Do you have a solution for it to be activated automatically?

I did not actually find an answer to my question on google.

Thanks!

What you try to do?
Do you have a default PVE installation with default settings or did you change anything?

Well i have similar problem. My storage with ext4 already contains some container templates but i cant make my own. Its not big issue but i have such preconfigured templates on other machine and its handy to have such nonwriteable clones for making new containers

Attachments

• proxx1.jpg
    proxx1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 53
  • proxx2.png
    proxx2.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 49
  • proxx2.jpg
    proxx2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 45
Hi doman18
LXC container needs a storage what supports snapshots. Dir Storages do only support snapshots if you use qcow2, but cow2 is not working with LXC.

I had the same problem after installing PVE on top of a regular Debian (i.e. without using the PVE ISO Image), so I had to do something like this to be able to create templates:

1. Reduce the size of my root partition (this was providing the Directory Storage).
2. Use the newly freed space to create a new blank partition.
3. Set up the new partition with LVM.
4. Transform LVM to LVM Thin (not sure what I did here).
5. Allow this new storage to be used for "Disk image" and "Container" in the PVE Datacenter level.

Reactions: jimmy57000
I had the same problem after installing PVE on top of a regular Debian (i.e. without using the PVE ISO Image), so I had to do something like this to be able to create templates:

1. Reduce the size of my root partition (this was providing the Directory Storage).
2. Use the newly freed space to create a new blank partition.
5. Allow this new storage to be used for "Disk image" and "Container" in the PVE Datacenter level.

Hello,

Do you have more information?
I have created a partition for templates !

/dev/sda6 5277487104 5860533134 583046031 278G Linux LVM

Unfortunately, after I do not know what to do ..!

Thanks you advance !

I'm not an expert on this matter neither but I think that you completed:

So you already have a new LVM logical volume (LV), don't you?. Anyway, read https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...on-to-lvm-concepts-terminology-and-operations just to be sure you understand the LVM concepts.

And then...

For this, follow the instructions (only the introduction) at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_LVM_Thin.

You can make it from the PVE GUI. Take a look at the following attached image:

2019-05-18 21_59_03-blobfish-30 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

I'm not an expert on this matter neither but I think that you completed:

So you already have a new LVM logical volume (LV), don't you?. Anyway, read https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...on-to-lvm-concepts-terminology-and-operations just to be sure you understand the LVM concepts.

And then...

For this, follow the instructions (only the introduction) at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_LVM_Thin.

You can make it from the PVE GUI. Take a look at the following attached image:

View attachment 10327
Hello,
Created !
After template créated, can not use the templates..
It's complicated anyway ^^

In any case your method works

Last edited:
Try creating a new CT using your new "templates" Storage (picture attached) and then convert this CT to a template. It should work.

Attachments

• 2019-05-19 09_15_10-Window.png
    2019-05-19 09_15_10-Window.png
    15 KB · Views: 36

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!