Proxmox on other Distros?

VirtuallyMachine

Apr 1, 2019
For some reason when investigating, I thought proxmox was some sort of greater support & UI around KVM & LXC... But I guess it is an entire OS! I was hoping I could run proxmox on top of my Linux distribution of choice... I guess this is not the norm. Has anyone attempted this? Could this be stable?
Thanks!

I guess it won't keep me from trying! :)

You could probably get it to run on Ubuntu as Ubuntu beeing a derivate of Debian and in fact PVE uses a Ubuntu-based kernel, but other than that .... it's purely theoretical. PVE is a hypervisor, why do you want to have it flavored in your way? Normally, you don't work much on the hypervisor.

You could probably get it to run on Ubuntu as Ubuntu beeing a derivate of Debian and in fact PVE uses a Ubuntu-based kernel, but other than that .... it's purely theoretical. PVE is a hypervisor, why do you want to have it flavored in your way? Normally, you don't work much on the hypervisor.

Interesting... To answer your question, it is great because it is sort of a hybrid type-1/type-2 hypervisor; it has the benefits of both. So naturally, I would prefer my base system to be my preference because I would use it. A lot of people use proxmox for workstation environments - where the VMs don't need to be running all of the time - not just for servers. For example, for running OSX or Windows in the most performant ways (GPU passthroughs, etc) it seems proxmox has gotten the best results I've seen. I will just investigate how to run it with Arch.

For example, for running OSX or Windows in the most performant ways (GPU passthroughs, etc) it seems proxmox has gotten the best results I've seen.

Have you tried unraid? From the many posts in the forum about problems with passthrough, I though unraid is the better alternative for running a multiple virtualised desktop systems.

Have you tried unraid? From the many posts in the forum about problems with passthrough, I though unraid is the better alternative for running a multiple virtualised desktop systems.

I haven't thought of it... So now I wonder what is the real difference. What can proxmox do that the others cannot? In short, is KVM alone just as supportive of GPU & USB passthroughs (on OSX & Windows) - and just as performant as on proxmox?

I guess I saw many people achieve similar results to what I want on Proxmox on this forum (like great performance and stability in OSX guests), so I figured it was the best bet. But if I can do the same think in KVM alone, then I'll probably just do that.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!