Proxmox guide "Proxmox ISCSI installation" is very out of date?

n1nj4888

Jan 13, 2019
Hi There,

I'm a new Proxmox user and loving it so far on a simple local installation !!! but ...

... I'm trying to follow the guide "Proxmox ISCSI installation" (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_ISCSI_installation) to install Proxmox to an iSCSI Target LUN so that I can test booting the LUN from a diskless Intel NUC (via iPXE).

The guide above seems very out of date (dated Nov 2015 and refers to Debian Lenny (released 14 February 2009) and Debian Squeeze (released 6 February 2011)).

I've followed the guide, replacing any references to Lenny/Squeeze to the latest Debian Stable "Stretch" release and any references to "aptitude" to "apt-get" but it fails at the following point:

"aptitude install pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve pve-headers-2.6.32-4-pve"

I've tried replacing the "pve-kernel" package to "pve-kernel-4.15.18-10-pve" but there doesn't seem to be a replacement for the "pve-headers" package since running the following command on a working local PVE 5.3 install returns the following results?

apt list --installed | grep pve-headers
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

<NOTHING RETURNED>

Am I doing something wrong here? Ideally, can the guide please be updated to document the process for installing PVE 5.3 on an iSCSI Target LUN?

OR - Is there a newer, easier way to install to an iSCSI LUN via the normal PVE installer that I'm missing (couldn't find any documentation on this and only local disks seem to be listed in the installer as potential installation targets)? The Ubuntu Server (alternative) installation for example, allows an iSCSI Target LUN to be configured as the installation target during the install process...

Thanks!

apt list --installed | grep pve-headers

pve-headers is not installed by default, but it's in the repositories.

Code:
apt install pve-headers

will install the headers for the current kernel. If you need a specific version, you can search with

Code:
apt-cache search pve-headers

OR - Is there a newer, easier way to install to an iSCSI LUN via the normal PVE installer that I'm missing

It's not supported.

Thanks @oguz,

I'll try that but a couple of other questions please?

(1) Can I please request the "Proxmox Installation to iSCSI" guide is updated - I'm sure it would be helpful to others!
(2) You replied "It's not supported." - Are you referring to ANY iSCSI Target installation or referring to the current installer not supporting an iSCSI installation? Again, It would be fantastic if the standard installer made an iSCSI Target install a lot easier:)

Thanks again!

(1) Can I please request the "Proxmox Installation to iSCSI" guide is updated - I'm sure it would be helpful to others!

I'll take a look at updating it soon, thanks for the feedback. If there are any specific things in the guide that you noticed, please let me know.

(2) You replied "It's not supported." - Are you referring to ANY iSCSI Target installation or referring to the current installer not supporting an iSCSI installation? Again, It would be fantastic if the standard installer made an iSCSI Target install a lot easier:)

It's not supported via the Proxmox installer (only local installations are supported), and it's not in the Roadmap right now.

On another note, there are some drawbacks when you install Proxmox on iSCSI. Possibly higher latency, and you risk downtime for your guests if something happens with the disk image or the SAN, so it's not risk-free.

Thanks @oguz,

If you could take a look at updating the online guide for Proxmox 5.3 iSCSI Installation that would be great!

I think it just needs updating around “lenny”, “squeeze”, “aptitude”, old kernel/header references etc.

Thanks!

Thanks @oguz for making the updates to the page.

I notice that there’s still mentions of Debian Squeeze and Lenny (in the bit about debootstrap) - Is this intended or should this really be changed to Stretch?

Thanks!

I notice that there’s still mentions of Debian Squeeze and Lenny (in the bit about debootstrap) - Is this intended or should this really be changed to Stretch?

Hello, I thought I'd make some small changes first. Going through the setup steps myself as well, so it might take a little while before it's complete.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!