Help with Proxmox installation clone

Lip90

Dec 12, 2018
Hi Guys,

I installed Proxmox on an old HDD. This is slowly broken. How do I move the Promox installation to a new SSD? On the installation plate is no VM or LXC on it. These are on two separate SSD and a big Datapool one Mirror ZFS Raid.

I would be grateful for help.

Hello.

You can try using 'dd' or a similar tool. For example,

Code:
dd if=/dev/oldhdd of=/dev/newssd

of course replacing the '/dev/oldhdd' and '/dev/newssd' with the proper names of the devices.

Will the dd command also copy all bootloaders and partitions? So everything needed to boot?

Yes, it should.

I tried. Unfortunately without success.
My problem is that the new hard disk is smaller. How can I solve this problem? Is there a way to backup the configuration and just re-install it?

My problem is that the new hard disk is smaller. How can I solve this problem?

If it's possible in your case, you can try resizing the partitions in the current disk to make them smaller (small enough to fit in the new disk).

Is there a way to backup the configuration and just re-install it?

Another way is to backup all the VMs/CTs, install Proxmox on the new SSD and restore them from the backups. You will also need the '/etc/hosts' and '/etc/network/interfaces' and maybe some other files from '/etc/' depending on your setup.

If it's possible in your case, you can try resizing the partitions in the current disk to make them smaller (small enough to fit in the new disk).

How can I do that? I've gparted the LVM thin partition downsized when I want Clonezilla clones then I get the error message that the old HDD is larger than the SSD and the process is aborted.

t Clonezilla clones then I get the error message that the old HDD is larger than the SSD and the process is aborted.

Try using the Expert mode in Clonezilla and choose the following options:
- Skip checking destination disk size before creating partition table
- Resize the partitional table proportionally

the cloning does not work.
all vms and lxc are on a different hard disk. proxmox is on its own plate. if I reinstall proxmox are all vms still untouched on the other pöatte. can they be mounted again? without having to re-import backups?

if I reinstall proxmox are all vms still untouched on the other pöatte. can they be mounted again? without having to re-import backups?

It should be possible to do that.

I have a similar situation - I need to make a clone of PVE disk to use it on another location, to save time on reconfiguring all passthrough and OSX guests (they use that new fancy APFS from apple if its matter, but I recon its hidden under Qemu HDD anyway?)...
Source - 240GB SSD, ZFS
destination - 250GB SSD
checked both manual and automatic clonezilla - no boot (manual), no boot from clonezilla boot interface (automatic)

About to install PVE manually but anyway keen to find how to clone PVE for backup needs!!! Also how to save a clone as a backup to another larger disk without destroying it to restore it back later?

Would anybody mind to share step by step clonezilla instruction for cloning PVE 5.2 installation plz?

Clonezilla is more than likely successfully copying all data from disk A to disk B but grub is confused due to dev path changing. Have you tried booting a systemrescue iso and reinstalling grub onto the new disk? You could quickly determine if i'm correct by booting off of a debian install disk and selecting " boot first hard drive "

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!