Install Proxmox from USB r710

cclloyd

Dec 4, 2018
I'm trying to install Proxmox to my r710 via USB installer but am running into issues.
The USB itself boots, but then it tried to unmount `/mnt`, fails, and searches for a cdrom, which I don't have because I'm installing from a USB.

searching for cdrom
testing cdrom /dev/sr0
umount: can't unmount /mnt: Invalid argument
testing again in 5 seconds
... (repeats 4 times)

That is when I flash the usb with `dd`, tried both from Mac, and from Etcher, and Rufus. Also tried ISO mode from Rufus after erasing all partitions, and had the same results.

I believe the issue is it's required to be an MBR USB to boot properly, but the USB the ISO image creates with `dd` is GPT, not MBR.

I can't use iDRAC because I have the express version, not enterprise.

How can I make an MBR bootable usb for Proxmox?

You can install debian using usb drive and then install proxmox on top of it.

I tried that and ran into a few issues.

It requested some firmware file, which I put in the firmware folder and it worked, but only if I unplugged the USB then plugged it back in. If I didn't load this fw file, it failed to connect to the network (even manually entering IP info). But after getting to the step where it starts to install the OS, it says that it failed to find the distribution version, and fails. (this is after unplugging the USB and plugging it back in).

So I know that installing proxmox will work once I can boot into it, but debian isn't working from usb either.

I tried that and ran into a few issues.

It requested some firmware file, which I put in the firmware folder and it worked, but only if I unplugged the USB then plugged it back in. If I didn't load this fw file, it failed to connect to the network (even manually entering IP info). But after getting to the step where it starts to install the OS, it says that it failed to find the distribution version, and fails. (this is after unplugging the USB and plugging it back in).

So I know that installing proxmox will work once I can boot into it, but debian isn't working from usb either.
try this https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...stall-failing-due-to-cdrom-not-being-detected

Ok well neither of those worked, but I did manage to get it to boot via PXE after moving the entire proxmox.iso image into the initrd.img file.

But after installing it, my system still doesn't boot. It ignores the hard drive and tries to do network boot again (because pxe is last in boot order)

Try "rescue mode" booting your OS on the disk from your Promox USB media. If it works, I had the same, which was unresolved so I had to move the disk from usb external to internal SATA and fix the BIOS boot order.

Juste for information , for installation i use a virtual drive " iodd-2541 "
It's a SSD with some virtuals fonctions
Very easy use for Proxmox installation

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!