unable to add user whitelist

zhiyuan

Oct 3, 2018
hi guys,
trying to add a user whitelist into the proxmox but getting errors as follows.

Parameter verification failed. (400)

pmail: parameter required with role 'root'

here are my appliance version - just updated today.

proxmox-mailgateway: 5.0-7 (API: 5.0-61/71d9a758, running kernel: 4.13.13-5-pve)
pmg-api: 5.0-61
pmg-gui: 1.0-31
proxmox-spamassassin: 3.4.1-54
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 1.0-10
pve-kernel-4.13.13-5-pve: 4.13.13-38
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-8
lvm2: 2.02.168-2
pve-firmware: 2.0-3
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-27
pmg-docs: 5.0-13
pve-xtermjs: 1.0-2
libarchive-perl: 3.2.1-1
libxdgmime-perl: 0.01-3
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.3-pve1~bpo9
libpve-apiclient-perl: 2.0-2

same problem on adding blacklist as well.

hi guys,
trying to add a user whitelist into the proxmox but getting errors as follows.

Parameter verification failed. (400)

pmail: parameter required with role 'root'

here are my appliance version - just updated today.

proxmox-mailgateway: 5.0-7 (API: 5.0-61/71d9a758, running kernel: 4.13.13-5-pve)

Just to note, you missed all updates since the first ISO release. Take a look into the admin docs, see chapter "3.4 Package Repositories"

hm... alright ... i just updated it again ... here is the new result. rebooted the machine... same result on adding still... any suggestion?

proxmox-mailgateway: 5.0-10 (API: 5.0-78/e19a4b16, running kernel: 4.15.18-4-pve)
pmg-api: 5.0-78
pmg-gui: 1.0-40
proxmox-spamassassin: 3.4.1-55
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 1.0-19
pve-kernel-4.15.18-4-pve: 4.15.18-23
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.2-7
pve-kernel-4.13.13-5-pve: 4.13.13-38
libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-10
lvm2: 2.02.168-2
pve-firmware: 2.0-5
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-38
pmg-docs: 5.0-16
pve-xtermjs: 1.0-5
libarchive-perl: 3.2.1-1
libxdgmime-perl: 0.01-3
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.9-pve1~bpo9
libpve-apiclient-perl: 2.0-5

hm... alright ... i just updated it again ... here is the new result. rebooted the machine... same result on adding still... any suggestion?

Where/How do you "...trying to add a user whitelist into the proxmox but getting errors as follows."?

Please provide a screenshot. Which admin account user do you use?

upload_2018-10-3_16-7-4.png

trying to add the email as follow.
using root account...
tried with another user account with administrator rights... same result ....

The error message is a bit misleading.

This is the personal whitelist from users which have already a quarantined emails. As you did not select a mailbox from the dropdown list with quarantined emails, you cannot add anything.

i think this is starting to make sense ... i think i got the whitelist concept wrong on proxmox as i was comparing with other products... let me try again and see....

We have a problems, where messages are forwarded multiple times which messes up the header and hence it's being marked as spam. Similar with other messages where the sender is incapable of changing the header information. Other cases where we just want to whitelist certain addresses to make sure they always make it through.

Whitelisting on SMTP and FILTER level does not help. There seems no option to whitelist an address, domain, host etc. entirely.
Is there a hidden option in PMG where one can whitelist an object so that it makes it through the mail gateway without spam flag etc. being added or the message being quarantined?

Is it possible to remove any spam flag, marking etc. for messages that are on whitelists?

Why does the system have to process the rules if the whitelist was already applied?
In e.g. Sieve filters it is possible to say that the system should stop to process any further but apparently PMG doesn't do that and executes all actions based on the priority.

Please provide us with a solution to properly whitelist objects, otherwise it hard to sell PMG to customers if whitelisting doesn't work 100% for sure.

We have a problems, where messages are forwarded multiple times which messes up the header and hence it's being marked as spam. Similar with other messages where the sender is incapable of changing the header information. Other cases where we just want to whitelist certain addresses to make sure they always make it through.

Whitelisting on SMTP and FILTER level does not help. There seems no option to whitelist an address, domain, host etc. entirely.
Is there a hidden option in PMG where one can whitelist an object so that it makes it through the mail gateway without spam flag etc. being added or the message being quarantined?

Is it possible to remove any spam flag, marking etc. for messages that are on whitelists?

Why does the system have to process the rules if the whitelist was already applied?
In e.g. Sieve filters it is possible to say that the system should stop to process any further but apparently PMG doesn't do that and executes all actions based on the priority.

Please provide us with a solution to properly whitelist objects, otherwise it hard to sell PMG to customers if whitelisting doesn't work 100% for sure.

If I understood correct, there are always two levels in PMG: prequeue and postqueue. Prequeue is postfix, so you can whitelist here on smtp level, for blocklisting I was required to add header checks. Postqueue is handled by the rules system, so you would require a rule with highest priority to pass a mail, which should be whitelisted. If that’s not working (I don’t use rules beside the spam tagging at particular level), you would need to write your own spamassassin rule, which may bypass the tests on particular mails. I‘m unsure here on clamav and its integration.

Well we whitelisted addresses via rules but they are still handled as spam. Hence I don't really understand what the "whitelist" is for if those mails are handled as spam anyways. Or is there something wrong with their header or how the system reads the headers?

Well we whitelisted addresses via rules but they are still handled as spam. Hence I don't really understand what the "whitelist" is for if those mails are handled as spam anyways. Or is there something wrong with their header or how the system reads the headers?

So your whitelist rule has highest priority and accept action isn't stopping any further processing as accept should be like Sieve set as clean and exit rules handling? Then it can be only three possible options: 1. a bug in the code, 2. undetermined reasons, why PMG or Proxmox doesn't see accept as a final rule (similar to firewall rules), 3. your message has been missed by the whitelist (therefor try to add information to your mail if passing the whitelist rule, so you can check, if the rule really matched)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!