CPU cores/sockets

HenryTheTech

May 20, 2018
I have read conflicting recommendations regarding assigning cores/sockets. Looking for clarity:

Hardware: 8 x AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (1 Socket)

VM: Windows 10 Pro, acting as a NVR for IPCamera's.

Container: Debian 9 running Plex media server and some other services

Both units require a decent amount of processing power as they are working with h.264/h.265 encoding.

Currently using 4 CPU's (1 socket/4 cores) on the Windows machine, with 4 virtual CPU's assigned to the Plex container. Is this ideal? According to this article, a max of 1 core should be assigned per VM...

Should I reverse the windows machine to have 4 sockets/1 core? Or something else?

Hi,

You can apply to one VM maximal the total logical count of the host system minus one core.
If the VM has at the same time the max workload then it is better to split the resources.

Hi,

You can apply to one VM maximal the total logical count of the host system minus one core.
If the VM has at the same time the max workload then it is better to split the resources.

So by the total logical count, in my case that = 1 socket / 8 cores = 8 total?

At the moment I have assigned 1 socket / 8 cores to the VM, plus 4 CPU's to the container.

It seems to be managing just fine with the overlap...

So by the total logical count, in my case that = 1 socket / 8 cores = 8 total?
Yes this is correct
At the moment I have assigned 1 socket / 8 cores to the VM, plus 4 CPU's to the container.
You should use only seven cores at the VM. One core should be free for the OS.
The performance is always better with total logical cores minus one core.

Reactions: HenryTheTech

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!