Differential backups

Hi.

Ok. Find. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/incremental-backup-solution.39329/ And WHAT?

Guys, what's the problem just add this as out-of-box feature? Especially since we already have a working decision right now!
And it is very-very useful.

There are multiple reasons why this is not implemented in the core. And its impossible to explain complex developments again and again. Please read the archives if you are interested in the details (pve-devel mailing list).

Last edited:
I think the reason is simple. I tested it and it is really slow and unstable for vm´s bigger than 500gb. Restore takes hours/days for a 2tb machine.

i recommend to use pvesync (bad part you need 2 hosts) thats the only way i can do differential backups.

Your customers are asking for it. Shouldn't you listen to them?

We listen always to our users, but implementing a not suitable backup solution is for sure not what you want.

Hi
I think the reason is simple. I tested it and it is really slow and unstable for vm´s bigger than 500gb. Restore takes hours/days for a 2tb machine.
How many people who used Proxmox has VM's with disks more than 500 GB? IMHO, I have 5 VM (DC,BDC,RODC etc) with just 40-80 GB disks.

And you can don't make differential backups for big VM's. Make full backups. With the patch you can do it. What's the problem ?

Maybe *this* differential backup solution is not suitable, but certainly *a* differential backup of some sort is useful.

I do not want to have to implement ZFS, with all the endless knob tweaking that comes along with it, into a ZFS-less environment just to get differential backups.

Maybe *this* differential backup solution is not suitable, but certainly *a* differential backup of some sort is useful.

I do not want to have to implement ZFS, with all the endless knob tweaking that comes along with it, into a ZFS-less environment just to get differential backups.

You must understand that you can play with many things in IT, but you can not play with backup. Backup must be reliable and rock solid in any case. So you suggested that must be a kind of differential backup for your case, and PMX stuff do not want it. But if you want you can find many backup solution who can do your task(urbackup is one of them). Why do not try this option?

You also say that you do not want to use zfs because you do not want to use some woodoo tricky things.... I use zfs for many years without any woodoo .... but I start to read a lot of many woodoo zfs cookbooks. Yes, it takes time to understand even some basics. But after you learn and understanding the basics, most of the time you do not need any woodoo. But if do not try to read, yes you need some woodoo and more.
I run anything on zfs, and after more then 5 years of zfs I can say that the time spent on this topic was very useful. It is not perfect but it can be your job seat belt.
In your case(non-zfs), think for a moment that all your proxmox server are infected with a crypto-locker virus starting fron Friday. What you can do on Monday? Your vzdump backup are also encrypted. Maybe you have a lucky guy with some usb-hdd backups.... from the last month. But it is also possible that in your case only some woodoo spell can get your data back ;)
Maybe you will think about this scenario and you will try zfs(but the way, never say never)

Good luck with any non-zfs differential. .. woodoo ;) Because I am not a woodoo guru, but I am aware about the fact that my backups I use 2 different applications for the same data source (zfs and rsync).

Last edited:
Thank you for your opinion.

I've used ZFS on different operating systems in the past. I have had mixed results with it depending on the situation. Search this forum for ZFS issues. You will find a lot of results. However, you are correct when you state that I must have reliable rock solid results with backups. In my experience ZFS is not rock solid.

My backing of the original request still stands. I need a backup solution built into the product that does differentials.

Reactions: DerDanilo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!