upgrade zfs-0.7.0

yes, it packs quite a lot of useful stuff - I am also looking forward to the vastly improved zpool iostat and zpool status commands, and resumable send/receive! :)

yes! Have been waiting for 0.7 for a while now.. Hope this goes into 5.1 along with all the "first release problems" of this version ;)

If trim is not supported the used blocks on a sparse volume will only grow since blocks previously allocated in the vm will never be released because the instruction to release these blocks from the vm cannot be honored by zol due to lacking support for trim.

If trim is not supported the used blocks on a sparse volume will only grow since blocks previously allocated in the vm will never be released because the instruction to release these blocks from the vm cannot be honored by zol due to lacking support for trim.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly:
TRIM on a zvol is working, TRIM on a physical device inside a vdev is not, so the TRIM command is not issued "down" to the physical SSD. I always use TRIM on my KVM VMs on ZVOL. It works great.

I only see a problem with ZFS in a VM on a ZFS volume, then the outside ZFS cannot be sparse because the inside ZFS cannot use TRIM to free the blocks in the outside ZFS.

I just reconfirmed:

• Mini-Linux install:
Code:
root@proxmox4 ~ > zfs list rpool/data/vm-7200-disk-1
NAME                        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool/data/vm-7200-disk-1  3,03M  1,39T  3,03M  -

• Writing 1GB of urandom
Code:
rpool/data/vm-7200-disk-1   982M  1,39T   982M  -

• Deleting the file and running fstrim
Code:
rpool/data/vm-7200-disk-1  10,4M  1,39T  10,4M  -

The difference is maybe due to the inode changes inside of the ext4.​

So, it seems like zfs 0.7 is not available for Debian yet according to debian's pkg tracker but once it is available, is it technically not possible for us to uninstall the existing zfs that Proxmox comes with and then manually install zfs 0.7? I know this would be unsupported until zfs 0.7 can officially be added to Proxmox in future releases, but in theory, this should work - right?

So, it seems like zfs 0.7 is not available for Debian yet according to debian's pkg tracker but once it is available, is it technically not possible for us to uninstall the existing zfs that Proxmox comes with and then manually install zfs 0.7? I know this would be unsupported until zfs 0.7 can officially be added to Proxmox in future releases, but in theory, this should work - right?

"technically possible" and "good idea" are two pairs of shoes.. if you install unsupported packages, you won't get support. just be patient, once we have 0.7 packages that have gone through some rough testing in-house you'll be able to test them.

"technically possible" and "good idea" are two pairs of shoes.. if you install unsupported packages, you won't get support. just be patient, once we have 0.7 packages that have gone through some rough testing in-house you'll be able to test them.
would that be in the next release, or as a patch?

would that be in the next release, or as a patch?

as always - when it's done it's done ;) but you can expect preview/test packages some time before they move to the regular repositories.

There is nothing to "fix" .. If you have not gotten 0.7.0 in regular pve-test or pve-no-subscription, then it's not in the .iso. just wait!

There is nothing to "fix" .. If you have not gotten 0.7.0 in regular pve-test or pve-no-subscription, then it's not in the .iso. just wait!
What a useless comment! There was a new ISO released on the 14th August. I want to know if this fix is included in the new ISO, and if I should bother to download it and upgrade, or wait longer.

What a useless comment! There was a new ISO released on the 14th August. I want to know if this fix is included in the new ISO, and if I should bother to download it and upgrade, or wait longer.

I don't think my comment is useless :p

I know there was a new .iso, that does not mean that packages that are not already in regular pve-no-subscription repo are included in the .iso, they build the .iso with stable packages..

Also, a new feature/version is not a "fix" .. a fix is if something is broken.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!