ESXi as a Virtual Machine in Proxmox - can not run 64 bit OS

Mariusz

Aug 15, 2017
Hello,

I launched VmWare ESXi 5.5 as a Virtual Machine in Proxmox, using this Marksei manual.

Everything is OK, but under ESXi I can launch only 32 bit virtual machines. 64 bit Virtual Machines doesn't work.

Can anybody sugest something?

You can't run virtual machines inside virtual machines.. Since your ESXi virtual machines does not have Intel VT etc.

You can run nested esx in kvm if your cpu support it.
I have an intel cpu that support ept and nested, and made a /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf file with:
options kvm ignore_msrs=1
options kvm_intel nested=y ept=y
options kvm_intel emulate_invalid_guest_state=0

You also have to edit your esx in the file /etc/vmware/config
vhv.allow = "TRUE"

Hello,

I launched VmWare ESXi 5.5 as a Virtual Machine in Proxmox, using this Marksei manual.

Everything is OK, but under ESXi I can launch only 32 bit virtual machines. 64 bit Virtual Machines doesn't work.

Can anybody sugest something?
Why do you not import your machines? Have it done so often. This is working really good :)
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu/K...ing_virtual_machines_from_foreign_hypervisors
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

You can run nested esx in kvm if your cpu support it.
I have an intel cpu that support ept and nested, and made a /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf file with:
options kvm ignore_msrs=1
options kvm_intel nested=y ept=y
options kvm_intel emulate_invalid_guest_state=0

You also have to edit your esx in the file /etc/vmware/config
vhv.allow = "TRUE"

Are you able to run 64 bit operating system uder your ESXi?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!