Backup and restore Proxmox configuration for hardware upgrade

orosmannaro

Jan 6, 2013
Hi all.

I have a Proxmox 3.4 server with VM's in a NAS iSCSI/LVM storage and backups in a NAS NFS storage.

The server was installed on a single disk, so I would like to do this:
  • backup Proxmox configuration
  • replace the HD with two new SSD (RAID1)
  • install Proxmox (same version)
  • restore Proxmox configuration
Dan Ziemecki post seem to give the best help for this task.

I have a doub: which directories I need to restore from configuration backup?

TIA

Last edited:
In your case normaly you must only backup /etc/pve. There all configs. But i think you should install newest version 4.4. Confgs are the same. Don't overwrite all. Only your own changed configs.

Thanks for your answer fireon.

I would write a general purpose script to do a backup of Proxmox configuration, so I want to include all the directories that could be be useful in case of local disk damage ...

Can you tell me what kind of problems may I have if I dont stop the Proxmox services before backup the configuration files?

Thank you again.

Can you tell me what kind of problems may I have if I dont stop the Proxmox services before backup the configuration files?
Since /etc/pve is a virtual filesystem stored in a SQLite database all you need to backup is:
/var/lib/pve-cluster/
- Do a SQLite database backup of config.db (https://www.sqlite.org/backup.html)
- Backup corosync.authkey
/var/lib/pve-firewall/
- What ever is in there

Is there any properly consolidated documentation entry on how to backup and restore a system? I will be doing something similar as the OP to replace the SSD currently installed for another one with bigger capacity and better server capabilities.

Reactions: Marcel Lanz
Since /etc/pve is a virtual filesystem stored in a SQLite database all you need to backup is:
/var/lib/pve-cluster/
- Do a SQLite database backup of config.db (https://www.sqlite.org/backup.html)
- Backup corosync.authkey
/var/lib/pve-firewall/
- What ever is in there

I just want to be sure about backing sqlite database up, does anyone know the specific command?

I mean just backing config.db up and in case of failure installing the same proxmox with same ip and host, stopping pve-cluster service, copying backup config.db to the new server, setting 600 permission on it, replacing /var/lib/pve-firewall from backup server (in case of failure I mean) to new server and starting pve-cluster is enough?

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!