Hide Linux Pam login?

zgbkdlm

Jul 13, 2016
Hi,

I'm trying to commercial sell, using the default and powerful web panel. But How could I disable or hide the Linux pam login, left only Proxmox VE authentication? Apparently pam login is unsafe.

hi,

you cannot remove the pam login method, otherwise the default root user could never login through the web gui again.
but you can make another method the default, just go to datacenter -> Authentication -> Edit the one you want, and enable "default"

also, why do you think the pam login is unsafe?

Reactions: Colin 't Hart
hi,

you cannot remove the pam login method, otherwise the default root user could never login through the web gui again.
but you can make another method the default, just go to datacenter -> Authentication -> Edit the one you want, and enable "default"

also, why do you think the pam login is unsafe?
Hi,

Thanks for your reply buddy. I'm gonna use the web gui for public entrance, it just costs too much time to build a API based custom panel.
As for the safety, well, I'm not sure, but it just feels unsafe for pubic users to guess the linux user password, maybe just psychosomatic, I hope so.

"guess the linux user password"? Then set your password to something generated, e.g.

Code:
$ pwgen -s 64 1
23IbN0tKR9YLyG3rCIrRvwcaHBIKzLNyZeJESVlFFGDLwMppWdDC7nQ7Qwoi1Ywf

Happy hacking :-D

Reactions: Colin 't Hart

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!