Issues with hostnames after reboot

Hello,

I have just tested 1.4 beta 2 and we still have the same hostname issue. When I set lets say the hostname as:

server1.ukhost4u.com in the proxmox interface (and also in the vz file for the container) and then start the container the hostname changes.

When I enter the container and run the command: hostname I get:

server1

Where I expect to get:

server1.ukhost4u.com

We run a number of Virtuozzo servers and they do not have this same issue. I had hopped this would have been fixed in 1.4.

I understand the hostname needs to be set in proxmox and the vz config files but these are both correct!

Thanks,

Paul Hughes
http://www.ukhost4u.com/

Hello,

I have just tested 1.4 beta 2 and we still have the same hostname issue. When I set lets say the hostname as:

server1.ukhost4u.com in the proxmox interface (and also in the vz file for the container) and then start the container the hostname changes.

When I enter the container and run the command: hostname I get:

server1

Where I expect to get:

server1.ukhost4u.com

We run a number of Virtuozzo servers and they do not have this same issue. I had hopped this would have been fixed in 1.4.

I understand the hostname needs to be set in proxmox and the vz config files but these are both correct!

Thanks,

Paul Hughes
http://www.ukhost4u.com/

a hostname does not contain the domain name by definition. so the behavior is correct. I know that some third party software have a problem with this, but they should follow also the standards.

Hello,

Yes this is fine in some cases but does not work for cPanel and Plesk as they sent out the server hostname with outgoing mail and as such the mail is rejected because the hostname is not a fully qualified domain.

Is there anyway we can force this in the config as we don't seem to have the same issue with Virtuozzo.

Paul

Hello,

Yes this is fine in some cases but does not work for cPanel and Plesk as they sent out the server hostname with outgoing mail and as such the mail is rejected because the hostname is not a fully qualified domain.

Is there anyway we can force this in the config as we don't seem to have the same issue with Virtuozzo.

Paul

Exactly. when i restart the server, i need setup manualy the entire hostname.

:(

That is a mailer configuration problem then. Simply configure your mailer so that it append the domain.

Just set the FQDN in /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
196.168.1.50 mail.server.com mail

hostname file /etc/hostname
mail

a quick fix -

just create a simple shell script to reset the host name

Code:
 #hostname hostnamehere.dullyqualifieddomain.tld

then just run that on boot each time at the end of your boot cycle.

Once complete - also run your cpkey update in cpanel if needed

we scripted it- much easier than trying to get everyone to fix the issue:rolleyes:

Hello.

Same problem.

On web interface with Proxmox 1.3:
On NET section:
host.subdomain.domain.com

On host cpanel (on host)
host.subdomain.domain.com

On /etc/vz/conf/vid.conf
HOSTNAME=host.subdomain.domain.com
OSTEMPLATE="centos-5-x86_64-minimal-5.3-20090509"

On every reboot each VPS change host name for only host without subdomain.domain.com

That is a mailer configuration problem then. Simply configure your mailer so that it append the domain.

wish it were just that simple -
issue is w/ many of these applications they are licensed to a hostname as well

so if the hostname was

sub.hostname.tld

and suddenly on a reboot it becomes sub (thus truncating the last 2 octets) the license does not work

For now - I have created a script that runs on boot (its posted here in this thread) as a work around.

wish it were just that simple -
issue is w/ many of these applications they are licensed to a hostname as well

so if the hostname was

Again, we set the hostname correctly! (The hostname must not include a DNS domain). The DNS domain name is specified in etc hosts, which is also correctly set up.

Obviously 'cpannel' has a problem with that (already reported a bug?). What other programs does not work?

Ooopps

man hostname

FILES
/etc/hosts /etc/hostname This file should only contain domain name and not the full FQDN.

Ufff... everyday how work wiht panel, lost a bit of mind...

Thanks ....

hello,
tom
user_offline.gif

Proxmox Staff Member

you always say this is a feature, but if you use a vps whit cpanel this is a issue, cpanel need the complete hostname like test.domain.com if show only test no email go out.

also this only happen whit proxmox, other actualization program this no happen.

so maybe you can fix this.

but all people that use cPanel have this issue

you always say this is a feature, but if you use a vps whit cpanel this is a issue, cpanel need the complete hostname like test.domain.com if show only test no email go out.

So why don't you report a bug to cpannel? What do they say?

Honestly, I don't want to support something that is obviously wrong.

- Dietmar

ok i understand you,

the word is wrong you are ok.

let me know one virtualization program set the hostname like proxmox do ?

only one more

ok i understand you,

the word is wrong you are ok.

let me know one virtualization program set the hostname like proxmox do ?

only one more

I am not interested in such discussion.

The question remains why you don't report a bug to cpannel? What do they say?

And if you reall want another behavior, you simply edit the openvz scripts (/etc/vz/dists/scripts/redhat-set_hostname.sh)

i'm afread it is not only cpanel.

DirectAdmin also has issues: "This is e-mail notification to warn you that your hostname is setup improperly on your system"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!