Jessie and 3.10.0 OpenVZ kernel and the future

Yes. What I'm asking is if it would be possible to patch 2.6.32 so that lxc works in v3.x

Sorry for any confusion

no, if you want to use LXC, go for 4.0 (there is already a pvetest repo for 4.0, but not yet feature complete).

Will there be a direct path for OpenVZ > LXC included in the upgrade to version 4 ?

Or will 4 have to be a fresh install ?

You have misunderstand it. There is no actively development for OpenVZ in 3.10 kernel. The sources have been released as is and then it is up to the community to jump in. The former OpenVZ team has been acquired by Virtuozzo to concentrate of developing Virtuozzo Core.

Sorry, but you are totally wrong here. My name is Sergey Bronnikov and I am community manager of OpenVZ project. I want to answer on your post on behalf of OpenVZ Team.
We are not dead and we are working hard under RHEL7 kernel. All development process is open, so you can monitor it in mail list. In May our developers ported several kernel features to RHEL7 kernel and we are close to switching from porting and development features to bugfixing and kernel stabilization. More over as we are opened development process you can participate in kernel development and speed up it by your efforts.

If you are follow to our news you can know that we opened source tree for upcoming RHEL7, moved to another GIT repository and plan to open sources of userspace utilities in next month. More news coming soon, if you have interested please follow us.

OpenVZ is dead. The released source tree for RHEL7 has a long way to go before even to be considered beta. Add to this that all support utilities is not converted to RHEL7 and still only works with RHEL6 kernels. Given the fact that transition to RHEL7 for openvz started more than 3 years ago I will consider this as a proof that development has stalled.

It was not stalled, see patch flow in mailing list.

Dietmar, I don't see any words about dropping OpenVZ in our blog.

We just follow to our plan (quotes from post in http://openvz.livejournal.com/49158.html):
- [DONE] "We are going to merge OpenVZ and Parallels Cloud Server into a single common open source code base." - we already have single codebase.
- [DONE] "As a first step, we will open the git repository of RHEL7-based Virtuozzo kernel early next year (2015, that is)." - see announce in mailing list.
- [DONE] "Our kernel development mailing list will also be made public." - our our work is public available and you can participate in development process
- [TODO] "For the new unified product, we are going to open up JIRA which we find to me more usable than Bugzilla."
- [TODO] open source of userspace utilities - cannot provide exact date, but we will publish announce about this in next month
https://openvz.org/Roadmap

Only one thing described in post was changed. We declined previously choose product name "Virtuozzo Core", but sometime it happens in companies with amount of employees more that 5.

Thanks to all for using OpenVZ.

Dietmar, I don't see any words about dropping OpenVZ in our blog.

The blog talks about a 'merge'. But the problem is that there is no stable openvz for kernel 3.10.0 or newer.
We planned the jessie based release one year ago, and by that time there was no information available.

But will re-evalutate the openvz tools (or how will you call it?) as soon as you release a stable version.
Do you already have a planned release date?

If I understand correctly, you plan to merge (or replace) vzctl with Parallels Cloud Server. Is there already some
code? We have a very special cluster environment, so I do not even know if that new code integrates well
until I have something to test.

It was not stalled, see patch flow in mailing list.
RHEL 7.1 GA 2014-06-09. RHEL 7.1 update 1 2015-03-05. And 2015-05-26 you cannot find even a Beta, yet an Alfa, for OpenVZ for RHEL 7! Justing current development progress an expected stable release seems no sooner that late 2016 which will be more that 2 years after initial release of RHEL 7. Also given the merge with Virtuozzo raises serious doubt to the nature of commitment for the general Linux kernel tree. I my book this is close to a dead project in the sense of following the former development cycles.

Last edited:
The blog talks about a 'merge'. But the problem is that there is no stable openvz for kernel 3.10.0 or newer.
We planned the jessie based release one year ago, and by that time there was no information available.

But will re-evalutate the openvz tools (or how will you call it?) as soon as you release a stable version.
Do you already have a planned release date?

If I understand correctly, you plan to merge (or replace) vzctl with Parallels Cloud Server. Is there already some
code? We have a very special cluster environment, so I do not even know if that new code integrates well
until I have something to test.

Unfortunately I cannot provide any exact release dates. Beta will be ready in a couple of months or so.
We will keep vzctl in next release, and additionally we will add unified console tool prlctl, it will be able to manage containers as well as virtual machines.
Code of userspace tools will be available very soon (about 1-2 weeks). I will make separate announce in mailing list as soon as we will publish source code.

sergeyb;112521and additionally we will add unified console tool [I said:
prlctl, [/I]it will be able to manage containers as well as virtual machines.

You talk about a tool to manage KVM based virtual machines?

Yes. It will be possible to manage containers as well as virtual machines via single tool.
We are working under integration KVM/QEMU and LibVirt to Virtuozzo.

It guess it does not really makes sense to integrate such tool into Proxmox VE, because we have our own tools to do that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!