Windows Sever ROK licence

glennbtn

Renowned Member
Mar 12, 2010
Hi All

I have an hp server which has come with a 2012 server Rok licence.

We want to put proxmox on this server and then create a vm of 2012 server using the Rok licence.

Will this work as I know the licence is tied to the server in some way.

Thanks

Glenn

As far I know it is not possible, because of BIOS-Lock what means the license is stored in the BIOS.
But I would ask HP or MS.

As far I know it is not possible, because of BIOS-Lock what means the license is stored in the BIOS.
But I would ask HP or MS.

In VMware you can install a ROK using:

52. Why do I get a “system not supported” message when I try to install HP OEM mediaon top of VMware?
To allow the HP OEM media to detect that it’s being installed on HP hardware, you will need to add the followingconfiguration line to the VM configuration file:“SMBIOS.reflecthost=TRUE”

Source: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-3787ENW.pdf

Maybe there is something similar in KVM??

Hi
Just to confirm HPE ROK Servers work:

DMIDecode is needed on the Proxmox host, to find out the serial et al.
The UUID should NOT be changed.

See here:
http://maestroni.altervista.org/installazione-di-windows-2016-rok-marchiato-hp-su-proxmox/

This actually works well!
Just did a Windows 2016 Server installation (Under IDE).
After installation, added a second disk (as VirtIO) and installed the driver in Windows.
With MergeIDE, disconnected the C-Disk (IDE) and reconnected it as VirtIO.
Changed the Intel NIC to a VirtIO NIC and corrected the Driver.

All works as expected!

My 2 cents
Andy

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!