Proxmox 8 boot stuck at "EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path"

sarifac

Jul 24, 2023
I've been trying to install Proxmox VE on a Dell Poweredge R730 to no avail. This has a PERC H730 Mini which I've set to HBA mode. Trying to install via either legacy BIOS and UEFI using iDRAC virtual mounted media and flashed USB (using both RUFUS and Etcher) was not working and would hang on
Code:
Loading initial ramdisk...
I tried this with many versions of PVE (8.0-2, 7.1-2, 7.4-1, and 6.4-1) but no dice.

Today I used a different computer (and thus, a different network interface) to install PVE 8.0-2 in ZFS RAID 1 on two SSDs with no issues and then tried booting this installation from the R730. On my R730, I have ethernet plugged into the iDRAC port and first ethernet port (indicated by "1"). Looking online, I assumed that this interface is `eno1`, so edited by `/etc/network/interfaces` file to reflect this as suggested here (also updated the `bridge-ports` line). I can't verify the interface because, well, the installation hangs when run directly on the R730 to begin with. However, this shouldn't affect being able to locally get PVE to boot, correct? Just accessing the web interface?

This approach at first seemed the most promising so far, getting to the bootloader where I have both the 6.2.16-6-pve and 6.2.16-3-pve kernels. Unfortunately, either option hangs on the message:
Code:
EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path
which I'm realizing is basically the same as the hanging seen in the USB installation...

I've attempted the steps seen in [1] (installing PVE 7 and then upgrade to 8 -- I tried doing this similarly with the other computer, but it would hang on the same error) and [2] (I believe which remakes the initrd.img), but this also was unsuccessful.

At this point, I feel I've exhausted the related problems I saw online, and quite stumped am unsure of what do to next. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Same here! I clocked 4 hours updating firmware, bios, proxmox v8.0-2 and UEFI, etc. with same error. Tried switching back to BIOS mode and no dice.

Same here! I clocked 4 hours updating firmware, bios, proxmox v8.0-2 and UEFI, etc. with same error. Tried switching back to BIOS mode and no dice.
Definitely frustrating -- feels so close yet so far... Are you able to get it working with an older version of PVE?

Definitely frustrating -- feels so close yet so far... Are you able to get it working with an older version of PVE?
Tried doing that no luck. Downloaded v7.4-1 to test and got different boot failure. See screenshot. I will try one more time (using default ext4) since eror is zfs related.

I have another R330 in BIOS mode running v6.4 fine for over 2 years. Figure I upgrade after two major versions later and use modern features like UEFI. If it doesn't work I maybe just have to go back to BIOS mode.

Update: Installing v7.4 and upgrading to v8.0 works. I removed screenshot as boot failure was caused by old ZFS pool records and not this EFI issue. Since I want to use ZFS, after installing v7.4, wiped ZFS pools from gui then upgrade to v8.0.

Last edited:
Also had the same issue, I fixed it by booting into Gparted and wiping the drives clean. Delete all partitions then apply changes, then reformat the drive as cleared and apply. I had previously installed PBS a few times on the same machine with ZFS on the boot drives which wasn't getting fully wiped on the next reinstall.

Update:
Works on latest Proxmox v8.1-2 release. Tested on my PowerEdge R330/R440. With UEFI and secure boot enabled, no error message or issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!