Continued support for 6.4

j1a2o

Feb 14, 2021
Now that 7.0 is out, will 6.4 still get 5.11 kernel updates through the end of its support cycle?

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-ve-support-lifecycle.35755/
Proxmox VE 6.x
First Release: 2019-07, Debian Version 10 (Buster), Debian 2022-07: tba, Proxmox VE EOL: 2022-07

Why would you want to stay on the older version for any reason and why should be they invest their time to support old version when the new one is out?
As far as I can see proxmox is fast moving product and you have to keep moving to new versions or you will be too far behind and it's going to be painful to do upgrades from older versions to the latest.
Seems there are some issues with 7.0 https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/kernel-panic-whole-server-crashes-about-every-day.91803/page-2 wait until they are resolved and then upgrade.
It's normal in the industry to have short product lifespan as technology is changing quickly.

Last edited:
Now that 7.0 is out, will 6.4 still get 5.11 kernel updates through the end of its support cycle?
We'll update the backported opt-in 5.11 kernel, but likely not as often as we'll do on Proxmox VE 7.x, to reduce extra work, and the time saved can get spent better on other updates, bug fixes and enhancement.
People that use that kernel version successfully in 6.4 have already one of the biggest changes, that the 7.0 release brings, active. So, upgrading to the new major release shouldn't bring any surprises, at least kernel wise.

We'll update the backported opt-in 5.11 kernel, but likely not as often as we'll do on Proxmox VE 7.x, to reduce extra work, and the time saved can get spent better on other updates, bug fixes and enhancement.
People that use that kernel version successfully in 6.4 have already one of the biggest changes, that the 7.0 release brings, active. So, upgrading to the new major release shouldn't bring any surprises, at least kernel wise.
Only thing i can think of is the intro of cgroupsv2 which isnt supported by older OS's ( like CentOS-7 ) ... i tried to implement the kernel options but that didnt work out, as i ran from the one error into the other error, leaving me with an inoperable CentOS-7 LXC - which was quite important to me (puppet master)

Thankfully i had a standalone machine outside of my 4-node cluster which is still on PVE6/latest and copied a backup to it and launched it there without any issues.
In my efforts trying to migrate/upgrade it to CentOS-8 all failed - as for its function there is no clear path, so till either i've had the time to decommision/rebuild it or replace the deployments i used on puppet to ansible i will need to have this LXC running.

FYI: i am in the process of decommisioning puppet and switching to ansible, just because its less complicated/a hassle ..( in this i also control my 4-node PVE cluster, and not only the 35 guests ( both VM's and LXC's combined) running off it.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!