ZFS Storage replication - How to setup/use ZFS storage pool

Erwin Müller

Nov 4, 2018
Home Server Setup - Application data sync of ZFS pool binded data

Current situation:
- On server with a ZFS storage pool that several docker container use as a persistant storage (each in another folder) from an LXC container
=> works, but is not HA

Intention: Have a HA cluster with 3 nodes where 2 nodes are used for redundency (server/storage), the 3 node is not holding VMs or storage, just used for quorum

Setup:
- 3 node cluster
- group created to just use node 1/2
- zfspools (same name) created for node 1/2 to keep in sync (CEPH overkill for home cluster)
- For the new HA setup of the docker containers I would need to spin-up kubernetes (prefered) or separate them in single LCXs

Question:
- Can I achieve (neartime) HA by using storage replication on the ZFS pools? Or do I need to change my setup?
- I was confused by having to select the VM, that makes sense for the VM-File, but what about the application data in a folders on the ZFS pool?
- Wouldn't make sense to configure it for every VM, as they all use the same pool (just different folders) on the ZFS pool
- THAT IS MY MAIN ISSUE OF UNDERSTANDING HOW TO SETUP REPLICATION FOR THE APPLICATION DATA -> How to configure it for replication?
- Extra question: if I distribute the VMs in normal operation, can the ZFS pools be syncronised from both nodes or is this done anyway in both directions?

Please, also tell me, if I am completely wrong with my setup (home cluster!) as I am new to that topic.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!