ZFS showing storage used but no files?

mkyb14

Mar 17, 2017
so I recently had to upgrade some hardware, and after doing so couldn't keep the ZFS pools for some reason. I destroyed the pool and recreated it, installed samba on the proxmox root (I just like it that way). And chmod the main zfs share..

I've followed this guide in the past to get the pools created and settings done

Setup New Disks
https://blog.quindorian.org/2019/08/how-to-install-proxmox-and-setup-a-zfs-pool.html/

zpool create Bigdata -o ashift=12 raidz2 (all the disk id's)

zfs set compression=lz4 Bigdata

root@pve:/# zfs create Bigdata/Movies
root@pve:/# zfs create Bigdata/TV_Shows

Samba
Follow this
https://www.hiroom2.com/2016/05/18/ubuntu-16-04-share-zfs-storage-via-nfs-smb/
  1. Zfs create BigData/Movies
  2. Zfs create BigData/TV_Shows
  3. zfs set sharesmb=on Bigdata/TV_Shows
  4. zfs set sharesmb=on Bigdata/Movies
  5. Chown -R mkyb14 /Bigdata/Movies and TV_Shows
  6. Edit smbd.conf to add share
    1. nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
[Movies]
comment = Bigdata Movies
browseable = yes
path =/Bigdata/Movies
guest ok = no
writeable = Yes
write list = root mkyb14
create mask = 0775

Create another share for TV_Shows

Service smbd stop
Service smbd start

I then can see the smb share via unraid, mount it and kick off the rsync script. ton of files transfer, proxmox shows 6.5TB used but no files? Why would it have data used but no files? I then re-kicked off the script for a few seconds and see it copied a couple...

I'm at a loss as to why it's showing TB of data used, but no files. I watched the rscript fun on TV_Shows for about a day in doing that 6.5TB transfer...

What am I missing. Create the ZFS pool (Bigdata), create the seperate folders for Movies and TV_Shows. Then in Samba add those folders or just the main Bigdata pool as a shared location. I'm really just trying to setup a dumping ground for another server to backup it's files and have redundancy.

Did I do this wrong and you setup the Bigdata pool, then create a directory? feels like I'm over looking something basic.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.17.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.17.54 AM.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.31.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.31.20 AM.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.30.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.30.54 AM.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
think i figured it out, pool is Bigdata and you then create the zfs location after... so zpool then zfs. so in my case I just made Bigdata and then Bigdata/Zeus and re-did the samba share for Bigdata/Zeus and restarted it and now I can see the files transfering and I'm not getting smb errors trying to connect.

Reactions: Kingneutron
Good on ya for figuring it out. ZFS datasets are similar to subdirectories but can have their own properties, like different compression algos, copies=2, recordsize, sharesmb=on, etc.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!