ZFS rpool instead of rpool/DATA

Why would you want to do that? Whats wrong with using a dataset like rpool/DATA? Should work but I only see downsides. Root dataset is then a child of VM-storage, so when changing configs for your VM-dataset, so your virtual disks will inherit the setting, the root dataset would also inherit these. And when working with ZFS like moving/copying data around, you couldn`t move all virtual disks recursively, because then you would also move/copy the root dataset. Same with recursive snapshots or replication.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the reply!

It's a mistake I did as I added a node to the cluster which had only lvm-thin storages, and when I added the zfs storage in the cluster for the specific node, I left it on the default rpool. Not sure If I should transfer the VMs from it and reinstall or leave it working like this.

There is a "Move disk" button you can use to move virtual disks between storages. You could use this to move them to "local-zfs".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!