ZFS Replication scheduling within 3 node cluster

rauxon

Dec 17, 2020
Hi,

I have a 3 node cluster (not particularly high spec nodes) that keeps giving me zfs snapshot timeout errors (according to my grafana graphs it is about 1 failure every 30 minutes). My configuration is set to replicate a subset (about 15) VMs/containers every 5 minutes, and therefore there are often jobs running between nodes at the same time.

E.g. 'vmhost3' can be syncing a VM to 'vmhost4' at the same time as a different vm is being synced the other way.

Changing the configuration so that each VM/container is synced at a different time to any other has removed the snapshot timeout error, however, I'm now using 0/15 to 14/15 to get them distributed.

Although the spec of the systems is low, the I/O load is not high when the timeout occurs (I've added a ZIL to try and resolve any issues with spinning rust and ZFS) so it looks to be a simultaneous issue rather than raw I/O.

The total time taken for all the VMs to sync is well below 5 minutes, so I'm wondering whether there is any way to put something into the sync schedule to prevent simultaneous running - thoughts that occur are:
  • 'n/5' so that it runs at a node id offset - this would therefore mean that node1 runs at 1/5, node2 at 2/5, node3 at 3/5. This would solve my problem :D
  • '<5' so that the sync is run such that the replica is never more than 5 minutes old (with an implicit 'only run one job at a time').
I do not believe either actually exists I'm just trying to express what I would like to be able to do.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so do they have a solution?

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!