ZFS RAIDZ PERFORMANCE

rmazouzi

Jul 29, 2023
Hello i just come to deploy Proxmox 8.2-1 on HP 220 "2 disks SSD mirroing for the boot" ,"3 disks 1 TB for STORAGE"
1723176359009.png
but the VMS are slows is there a way or tips to increase performance and make it faster a bit

RAIDz1 (or 2 or 3) is terrible for VMs (due to the low IOPS) and it is very different from hardware RADI5 (or 6) with BBU. It also has much less space available, especially with small number of drivers and a volblocksize mismatch. This had been discussed here several times before.

hello what is the best type of storage for VMs to work correctly ?
In general: the storage that can handle the work-load of your VMs. Did you run the VMs on RAIDz1 as I expected? Did you find some of the RAIDz1 threads that I mentioned?

Are you going to run a single gaming VM like some people? Or are you running mostly database VMs with lots of sync writes as they take case of their own data integrity? Or are you running dozens of Windows VMs of employees which are mostly idle? It always depends and you are giving very little information for people to go on.

Reactions: LnxBil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!