[SOLVED] ZFS questions working with VM storage issue?

I think that only tells the guest that the virtual disks are SSDs and not HDDs. Defragmentation will kill a SSD quite fast so it would be bad if the guests OS will think the virtual disk is a HDD and tries to defrag it.

Last edited:
Reactions: killmasta93
For striped stuff it should be "data bearing disks * blocksize of your drives = volblocksize" So if using ashift=12 for that pool and 4 drives as striped mirror that would be 2 * 4K = 8K volblocksize.
You propose 8k but for your storage (see below) which will be the same according to disks used and raid type, you say 16k. Why is that?
Also about your future (since then, you probably have set it up) mirror of 2 drives storage f
or VMs using DBs, Which Db you mean, because most of them tent to use a way bigger block than the one you were about to use back then =4k
I need to do more benchmarks but I will most likely delete my raidz1 pool and create a striped mirror of 4 drives with a volblocksize of 16K for normal VMs + a mirror auf 2 drives with a volblocksize of 4K for my VMs heavily utilizing DBs so the volblocksize is as low as possible. I hope that will decrease my high write amplification so the drives will live longer and hopefully also get a better performance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!