ZFS: proxmox as fileserver vs freenas

fab26

Aug 17, 2020
Hi,

I'm about to build a fileserver for a small vfx team. I was looking at zfs on freenas. but I'm also a happy proxmox user running various VMs (databases, rendering, dev...)

what are the pro and cons of using proxmox as a zfs fileserver and a vm hypervisor versus having a freenas zfs fileserver and a proxmox hypervisor on separate hardwares ?

Thanks for your advices,
F.

proxmox as a zfs fileserver
Proxmox VE does not magically expose your ZFS filesystem to the network. You could create a guest in Proxmox VE on your ZFS filesystem and create a network share like Samba in there.

Hi Dominic, thanks for your answer

do I need to set-up a guest VM for sharing ?
I was thinking of sharing from the host, using NFS for sharing to the guests and samba for sharing to the rest of the network but maybe I'm wrong ?
For now we use a totally separate hardware for storage and I'm pretty noob at zfs on proxmox.

could you point me to a good tutorial on this ?

thanks,
Fab

Hi,

sharing from the Proxmox VE host is possible, too. I personally to keep the host "clean". You should be able to find some discussions about this here in the forum.

could you point me to a good tutorial on this ?

The ZFS chapter in the Proxmox VE Administration Guide. You can even create ZFS setups in the GUI of Proxmox VE, by going on your node -> Disks -> ZFS.

I ended with a zfs dataset shared by an ubuntu18 container thru samba. Looks like it's working.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Dominic

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!