[SOLVED] zfs pool will not mount at reboot (since upgrade to 6)

sorry, i neglected to mention in here that i did also move/rename the file /etc/zfs/zpool.cache as well as enabling the service.

I too solved this by force unmounting my rpool-ssd pool, zfs export -f rpool-ssd, then found files in /rpool-ssd, once removed things mounted on boot correctly. Its a bit tricky because proxmox auto mounts things again so I had to be quick, but you can probably stop the auto importer to see whats in the mount directory and ensure its clean, and removing the zpool.cache

UPDATE:

Still creates a bad zpool.cache each time, final brute force solution is add this to root cron so that it regenerates zpool.cache at reboot.

* * * * * /usr/bin/rm -f /etc/zfs/zpool.cache

I tried removing zpool.cache with a systemd shutdown script which would be ideal but no joy, and doing it @reboot didn't work, doing it with a @reboot sleep(120); rm .... was also unreliable. This is a horrible kludge, any improvements welcome but it does work

So basically without this cludge, removing zpool.cache and rebooting means everything mounts ok next boot, but the subsequent boot I then see my ssd partitions are not mounted and you again need to remove the cache file and reboot.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!