ZFS pool - entire device or partition

kappclark

Feb 13, 2019
Vermont, USA
www.clark-hart.us
I am dipping my toes into the ZFS pool, so to speak, an was wondering if it makes any difference if you setup a mirrored pool with partitions vs entire devices...

I went ahead and partitioned 2 1 TB HD's with 1 partition each... I then did zpool create -f -o ashift=12 vmpool mirror /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 - no errors ....

Is there any reason not to do it this way ??

THX

I don't think there is any problem in using partitions. Make sure they are GPT and I would suggest using /dev/disk/by-id intead of /dev/sdXx

Is there any reason not to do it this way ??

Yes, first and most importantly: ZFS will also create a partitions for you if you use the whole device. So you will save time in not creating them manually. The idea is to have a partition at the end that is a very small (a few MB, depending on the size of your disk) in order to combine disks from the different vendors. Not all of them have the same disk size even if they claim to be e.g. 1 TB in size.

THX - I setup a mirror this AM with just the devices - how easy.. did not use disk-by-id ... added the pool to Proxmox, and setup some storage containers in the pool for ISO, VM, containers, templates etc...

One concern - I see an unexpected amount of memory use - for example - the host I just re-built (an old ESXi box) had 16GB DDR3.. I have 3 Windows VM's running ...the total memory they are allocated is 2 + 2 +1 = 5GB total.

Yet when I look at the summary page for the host, I see 13.6 GB used ... I went ahead and shut down the VMs (and 1 Alpine container) - and it says 8.7 GB in use !

is this the price one pays for ZFS ? guess I will need to add more memory if I plan to deploy more VMs ....

Last edited:
is this the price one pays for ZFS ? guess I will need to add more memory if I plan to deploy more VMs ....

Yes. Der default, ZFS uses half your memory as adaptive replacement cache (ARC). You can limit the amount of memory used for caching by reading this. The article is in general a good entry point into the work of ZFS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!