ZFS Pool Disappears After Reboot!

uviteru

May 21, 2019
As the title says, I have created a ZFS pool with 4 8TB disks. I am able to create directories and transfer files and bind mount it to a container, but whenever I perform a reboot on the host, the ZFS pool disappears! The drives still show as being partitioned and 'unavailable', but there is no ZFS pool listed, and
Code:
zpool status
returns "no pools available".

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It is scary that I could lose 20TB of data just because my storage pool decides to vanish!

Thank you.

Hi,
is the zfs-import-cache.service enabled and running? `systemctl enable zfs-import-cache.service`

Hi,
is the zfs-import-cache.service enabled and running? `systemctl enable zfs-import-cache.service`
Thank you so much! I thought it must be something simple. Why would the service not be running after a restart? Do I have to manually start it every time?

No, if it is set enabled, systemd will take care of starting the service for you. See `man systemctl` for more infos about howto manage services with systemd

No, if it is set enabled, systemd will take care of starting the service for you. See `man systemctl` for more infos about howto manage services with systemd

After a few more reboots, the command you gave me does not seem to work anymore... I run
Code:
systemctl enable zfs-import-cache.service
and nothing happens, and when I type
Code:
zpool status
I get a message that says there are no pools available. What else do I need to do? Why did it stop working?

Also, when I check the status I see this--do I really need to destroy my pool? I have 10TB of data in there......
upload_2019-5-31_18-13-45.png

So after some searching, simply running
Code:
zpool import media
allowed me to see the pool again! Why does it keep disappearing when I reboot? It doesn't seem like I should have to run any special commands when I boot up to get this to appear.

probably the zpool.cache file in the intiramfs is outdated - on a hunch - try running `update-initramfs -u -k all` and see if this fixes the issue

probably the zpool.cache file in the intiramfs is outdated - on a hunch - try running `update-initramfs -u -k all` and see if this fixes the issue
I ran the command and will let you know how it works out. I won't be able to bring the machine down for a few days probably. Thank you for your reply.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!