ZFS over ISCSI

liptech

Jan 14, 2021
Brasil
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to configure Proxmox 8.1.5 to connect to TrueNAS CORE, apparently the connection is established and proxmox receives the storage information, however in all the "iSCSI Provider" options I receive an error when trying to create an HD.

The last one I tested was with TGT and I received this answer:
TASK ERROR: No configuration found. Install istgt on 192.168.7.224 at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/LunCmd/Istgt.pm line 99.

Can anyone help me with this configuration?

I thank you all.

This might not be what you're asking, but my understanding is if you're doing ZFS over iSCSI the LUN itself has to be ZFS. So if TrueNAS Core supports that and your LUN is ZFS, the rest of what I'm saying is irrelevant.

If you're just trying to have a storage pool that is iSCSI that you can use for multiple VMs/Containers, you want to add a normal iSCSI LUN (not the ZFS over iSCSI option) and uncheck the use LUNs directly option. Then you create an LVM Storage pool on that iSCSI LUN where Disk image is selected and then you'll be able to create VM disks there.

Reactions: liptech
This might not be what you're asking, but my understanding is if you're doing ZFS over iSCSI the LUN itself has to be ZFS. So if TrueNAS Core supports that and your LUN is ZFS, the rest of what I'm saying is irrelevant.

If you're just trying to have a storage pool that is iSCSI that you can use for multiple VMs/Containers, you want to add a normal iSCSI LUN (not the ZFS over iSCSI option) and uncheck the use LUNs directly option. Then you create an LVM Storage pool on that iSCSI LUN where Disk image is selected and then you'll be able to create VM disks there.
Dear ogvirt,

Thanks for the help, but I know the procedure described, but I need the thin provisioning feature that the LVM solution doesn't have.
I found the solution on GIT (https://github.com/TheGrandWazoo/freenas-proxmox), it has an api that integrates Proxmox with TrueNAS via ZFS over iSCSI. The main benefit is that you can manage Zpols through Proxmox without the need to access TruNAS. And Thin Provision helps me as it only reserves what is in use.

Reactions: ogvirt

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!