zfs over iscsi write error

hifloh

Apr 12, 2024
Hello everyone, I recently came across the following problem when setting up my home server and got stuck.
Setup
pve1:
low power intel Atom Server​
zfs zvol for storage (/tank/zvol/)​
pve:
powerfull AMD Server​

My idea is to use pve1 24/7 and pve only when i need the Performance.
So most of the time pve1 will be running as a single host.
pve should access storage on pve1 using zfs over iscsi.
I followed this tutorial from Cristian to set the whole thing up.

Wen creating or moving disks on the new storage i get TASK ERROR: storage migration failed: Could not open /dev/tank/zvol/vm-105-disk-0 Cristian mentions that all zfs over iscsi requires all zvols to be accessible via /dev/poolname tough i have no idea how to do that on proxmox.

Has anyone Suggestions on how to solve this Problem?

Solved the problem by adding a symlink.
Code:
ln -s /dev/zvol/tank /dev/tank

After a reboot, the link will disappear. I also created a link using systed service. But it's a terrible crutch. We need to do it more properly

Last edited:
True.

There might be a way to create additional symlinks with udev rules but i haven't got it working jet.
Maybe i can get it working some time.

Also after a restart of the host, the vms won't start with the following error
Code:
TASK ERROR: Could not find lu_name for zvol vm-108-disk-0 at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/ZFSPlugin.pm line 112.
maybe this is due to the delayd creation of the link.
I "Solved" it by creating a new disk and manually copy the old one to the new one using dd.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!