ZFS over iSCSI - What Content?

MarkM

Aug 31, 2021
Hello,

New to PVE, switched from ESXi recently. First post so apologies if this has been asked before, I did do quite a bit of hunting around. I'm running TrueNAS-12.0U5 with a whole bunch of disk for my storage and have implemented PVE on a Dell T610. I've been doing a load of test driving before I part with my beer tokens for a subscription. I'm running PVE 7.0-11

Created a CIFS share for my ISO's etc, an NFS share for backups (taking snapshots) and have the VM's and CT's stored on a local to PVE disk for now (ZFS).

I spent much of today getting my head around ZFS over iSCSI and finally, after following the instructions I have it working however here is my question........

My understanding from the documentation is that I can use ZFS over iSCSI for snapshots as well as for other content such as images. I simply cannot find where in the GUI that I can select the content types when setting up the storage, did I miss it?

When I look at storage.cfg (snipped) I see:

zfs: itest
blocksize 4k
iscsiprovider freenas
pool Vol_1
portal 192.168.1.36
target iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:proxtest
content images
freenas_apiv4_host 192.168.1.36
freenas_password xxxxxxx
freenas_use_ssl 0
freenas_user root
nowritecache 0
sparse 0

If I go and build a new VM I can see this storage as an image location so I know that it is working.

So, did I miss the dialog for selecting content when I was setting up ZFS over iSCSI or do I need to edit storage.cfg directly or have I completely lost the plot and misunderstood the documentation I found here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage. Having thought about it for a second, perhaps ZFS over iSCSI supports the taking of snapshots but not the storage of the backup.

Would be grateful for a wee bit of clarity.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
ps. This is a homelab, not a production environment :)

ZFS over iSCSI only supports VM images, so there's no `content selection` possible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!